These beers worth it....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanker

Reaction score
Okay so I know alot of great beers are in expensive bombers (or at least expensive for me) so..... I've got a few questions.

1. Mirror Mirror by Deschutes... at $15.00 a bottle... is it worth it?

2. Celastrina by Odell .... is it worth it? Think ive seen it in the $12.00 range.

3.The Abyss by Deschutes... only place locally that carries it is $24.00 at a bar

4. Multiple Rogue beers in a ceramic bottle with a grolsh style recapper at $17.00 .... is this ceramic bottle re-cappable?

And..... what other bombers are truely worth every penny?!

The abyss is worth about 20 bucks at the most. I like it a lot but would hesitate if it was higher than that. Never had the others but Odell beers are really pricey anyways so 12 bucks for a bomber isn't that pricey. I pay 8 or so for a sixer of 90 shilling which is their flagship beer. The meddler by Odell is 18 at my bottle shop and I think it is worth every penny.

I paid 106$ for a mix and match 6 pack at Avery this summer. Some older vintages of Mephastophles, Samels and Uncle Jacobs. Drove 4 hours round trip too. It's an indulgence but that's kinda what craft beer is all about

Mirror mirror is great, and I paid $15 each and got about 4. Had one, saw the "best after" date while pouring. Enjoyed it enough I went back for more.

Abyss is great fresh, and the 2011 I had earlier in the year was remarkable. Wouldn't pay 24 for it, but I got it for 15 each months ago.

As for others worth every penny.. I stand by my opinion that Left Hand's Wake Up Dead imperial stout is the best $6 bomber I've ever bought. It ages well, butbcan be a bit harsh when fresh.

What about those ceramic rogue bottles.... are they really capable? Has anyone tried Not the Stoic? Worth it?

Also... how are the brews in the New Belgium Lips of Faith Series?

I typically pay 9-12. I can't wait to get a nice vertical like that. How was the tasting?
The vertical tasting was great. Really cool tasting them side by side, I never save my bottles long enough to do that. It was just a lucky thing hitting the brewery on the right day. They have also done occasional vertical tastings at the Bend pub.

Mirror mirror is great, and I paid $15 each and got about 4. Had one, saw the "best after" date while pouring. Enjoyed it enough I went back for more.

Abyss is great fresh, and the 2011 I had earlier in the year was remarkable. Wouldn't pay 24 for it, but I got it for 15 each months ago.

As for others worth every penny.. I stand by my opinion that Left Hand's Wake Up Dead imperial stout is the best $6 bomber I've ever bought. It ages well, butbcan be a bit harsh when fresh.

Left Hand's imperial porter, Smoke Jumper, is brewed every other year. It ages well and is another bomber worth every penny.

Celestrina is the only Odell beer that I haven't been a fan of, too clove-y for me. Their Woodcut series that comes out every fall is amazing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had the Stone Enjoy by 4/20/14 .... are all the enjoy by's the same brew just constantly fresh batches or is it a series of different brews?

I had the Stone Enjoy by 4/20/14 .... are all the enjoy by's the same brew just constantly fresh batches or is it a series of different brews?

Series of different brews. From what I've seen tho it's mainly a difference in hop schedule and hop variety. Still good brews

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

4/20 was the best IMHO. The newest, July, it is not even as good and I gave up my 2 bottle allotment. I just wasn't into it and rather spend my money elsewhere. I also pay $8 a bottle, that is it.

I would say Mirror Mirror may be worth it but $24 or Abyss? Never had it but I wouldn't pay it I don't think.

I would say Mirror Mirror may be worth it but $24 or Abyss? Never had it but I wouldn't pay it I don't think.
I like the Abyss a lot more than Mirror Mirror. More importantly, Black Butte XXVI comes out at the end of the month. XXV was phenomenal.

Left Hand's imperial porter, Smoke Jumper, is brewed every other year. It ages well and is another bomber worth every penny.

Celestrina is the only Odell beer that I haven't been a fan of, too clove-y for me. Their Woodcut series that comes out every fall is amazing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the tip on Smoke Jumper. Its still readily available here so ill pick it up. The Odell woodcut RIS has me wanting it, I just have trouble paying $22 per bottle.

I like the Abyss a lot more than Mirror Mirror. More importantly, Black Butte XXVI comes out at the end of the month. XXV was phenomenal.

Abyss vs mirror mirror is apples to oranges. They're both great, but vastly different styles. And every Black Butte anniversary I've had has been good, and I've unfortunately only had 3.

I tried Stone Enjoy By 07.04.14 and Stone Collective Distortion IPA.... both were delicious and well worth the buy. Especially the Collective Distortion... Mmmm

Hmmm... I'm not sure about that wine comment. It's all relative, and we all have different price points we're comfortable with, but you can get a pretty good bottle of wine for $25, so I start feeling pretty snobbish buying bombers at that price. To put it another way: I've certainly enjoyed some $24 bombers, but I'm not sure any of them were twice as good as a lot of $12 bombers. But, the only way to enjoy those $25 beers is to spend $25, so sometimes that's what you've got to do!

RE: Lips of faith- pretty hit and miss, but La Folie is pretty great!

Tried my first from the lips of faith series... Gratzer Ale
Its a 3floyds collaboration. Little smokey, little roasty, overall pretty damn good!

Back