Thermometers/Ball Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum (second post after an introduction post).

I've brewed twice and just kind of estimated temperatures when doing so, and I got pretty lucky. The beers turned out great. I did want to stop relying on luck and buy some thermometers. I'm fortunate enough to work for a company that does a lot of supply for big food manufacturers, so I have access to a lot of stuff. I wanted to run by some of my selections by the forum to see if I'm looking at good stuff.

Thermometer: http://miljoco.com/Products/PDF/Refrigerator_Freezer_&_Cooking_Thermometers.pdf

The bottom right of the first page is what I was thinking. Do you think I need to go with a 12" stem and just have more range I don't use on the scale or should I go with the one that goes to 220F and 9" stem?*They're both the same price at just about $8 for me.

Ball Valves: I work with a lot of fabricators, so I was planning on getting a ball valve welded into a pot. I actually haven't selected a specific ball valve yet, but do you guys have a recommendation on what material and what end connections to put on it? Stainless or bronze is my guess, but do I want hose connection at the end or threads? Is cleaning ever a problem when using threads? I know food codes require sanitary fitting because nothing can get caught in threads, but as long as I run sanitizer through it, should it matter?

That's a ton of questions.. You didn't mention it, but I'll assume you're doing extract batches? For extract, temps aren't critical (except fermentation temps) - if you get to partial or all-grain batches, temps are very important.
I'll start with the thermo. The one you've selected looks fine. I prefer digital and something that works extremely quickly.

For ball valves, I like the 3-piece stainless valves. They look nice and will last forever. If you want to save a few bucks you can get the california lead-free brass ones at HD or Lowes. They work fine. Go for a 1/2" ball valve and for fittings a 1/2" MIP to 1/2" hose barb works great.

Sanitary fittings are great, but overkill. You're boiling in the pot the entire time, there's nothing that's going to survive in the threaded connections at that heat.

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, I'm still doing extract batches. I'm lucky that my company stocks and sells all this kind of equipment, so I can get it much less than even the large hardware stores.

Also, I'm a Bruin too. Good to know there are others here.

Latest posts

Back