Thermometer & scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringitonhome

Reaction score
Getting ready to do my first AG next week and I need to pick up a digital thermometer for the mash and a scale for the grain. Can anyone recommend a particular brand or store (ie walmart carries this, or target carries that...) Don't really know where to get either.

Also - is it possible to get a scale that is precise enough to measure pounds of grain & ounces of hops for a reasonable price? I guess I could get a small food scale for the hops...

Target does have digital thermometers and scales in the kitchen dept That's where I got mine I don't recall seeing them in WalMart . The easiest for me is using food scales I get a small plastic bucket balance the scales to zero with the bucket on the scales then scoop up a bucket full of grain if I recall correctly my bucket holds 5 lbs full so if I need 22 lbs then I just scoop up 4 buckets = 20 lbs and weight the 2 last lb

BE aware that the digital the thermometer might not be accurate at every temp reading however a cheap lab thermometer or calibration thermometer ($8) is an excellent way to gauge the accuracy of your digital thermometer. But the lab thermometer is to fraigle for everyday use. Take readings at 150, 160, 170 and compare the digital thermometer with the results of the calibration thermometer then write the results in a notebook or on the digital themometer it's self.

An example mine is off 5*F at 150 but dead on the money a 175*F
and if your mash is off 5*F that's a big difference it the way your beer is gonna taste

The more a scale is capable of weighing the less accurate it is on the lower end of the weight scale conversely the more accurate a scale is in the lower end of the weight scale the less it will be able to weigh

a small postal scale is excellent if you want to accurately weigh oz you can get what they call a hanging postal scales cheap they are usually in the business supply area

I have a cheap scale I bought from WalMart. 6 pound scale with 1 ounce divisions.

I have never actually measured anything less than an ounce by a scale. I have always just eyeballed to halve or quarter an ounce. Meh. Works for me.

There are just some things you obsess over for accuracy and some you just don't cause it wont make any difference in the glass.

You can get digital scales with a capacity of > 10 lbs, and an accuracy of 0.1 oz which are good for both grains and hops. Check out Ebay, and you can get some really good deals.
For a thermometer, I use http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/proaccurate.jpg
It's accurate (I tested in iced and boiling water), can be calibrated, and responds quickly to temperature changes. I used to have one from Target. It responded very slowly, and broke after 6 months. When I tried to get another one, I had to press the on/off button about 20 times to switch it on or off.

-a.

Back