There's no such thing as a session IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am convinced most of these new wave beer names and styles result from failed batches and the need to sell them anyway. The first "Session" IPA was likely a batch that did not hit OG targets and/or hop utilisation. It is like taking credit for something you did not want in the first place.

It's not the lower gravity or hoppiness that dictates how much beer I drink in a "session". It is the time and place that dictates that.

I am convinced most of these new wave beer names and styles result from failed batches and the need to sell them anyway. The first "Session" IPA was likely a batch that did not hit OG targets and/or hop utilisation. It is like taking credit for something you did not want in the first place.

It's not the lower gravity or hoppiness that dictates how much beer I drink in a "session". It is the time and place that dictates that.

It's more likely a throwback to the IPA's of the late 1800s/early 1900s when taxes were getting too high and they had to use less malt but kept the hopping the same.

While I think session IPA is really dumb, I'm also getting tired of all this fruit-added IPA BS; grapefruit this, tangerine that, mango what... ugh, so dumb. This too shall pass...

Founders was one of, if not the first to create a session IPA. When I took a tour there, they said that the reason that they created All Day IPA was because of salesmen. They had their salesmen going out in the field all day selling beer, and of course, they would have to be drinking Founders beer the whole time. The salesmen were tired of getting their butts kicked drinking 7%+ beers all day long, but still wanted to drink a good beer, so they created a low ABV beer with lots of flavor for them. They tweaked the recipe over 5 years in the tap room before releasing it in cans. During this time, they didn't actually call it any real style, but customers kept saying "this is a really nice session IPA". So there you go. It was created for salesmen and named by customers.

I've had a few I've liked. Oasis Meta Modern Session IPA comes to mind.

Regarding nomenclature: whether it's a marketing angle or not, I don't mind the term "session IPA". Technically correct or not, when someone says 'session IPA' I know what they're talking about.

Similarly I don't have a problem with someone saying 'veggie burger' and not 'veggie patty'.

I don't think it has anything to do with the IBUS it has to do with how much malt and how much conversion happens in the mash. Lower malt bill less conversion equals less ABV. I made one identical to my 7% IPA that has the same amount of hops and caramel. It ended up 4.5%. Not near as malty or full bodied. More like a hop tea. I prefer more malty full body beer myself.

I disagree that there are no good session IPAs, but to each their own.
Ballast Point Even Keel
Unknown Pregame
Lawson's Super Session IPA #2 (amazing)
Green Flash Citra Session

Super Session #2 is the beer that convinced me "Session IPA" was truly a bull**** sales term. As a trend, there's a hollowness to the beer that tastes like someone brewed a really good 4 gallon IPA batch and diluted it to 5 gallons.

Hill Farmstead has recently threw up a "Blonde Ale" (Walden) that drinks like further devolution of this silly "Session IPA" trend -- it has zero structure/backbone to sustain the copious amount of hopping that was applied, resulting in a product that tastes like bitter, hoppy water.

"IPA" is currently the "Die Hard" of beers. For a long time, every action movie was "Die Hard on/in a [Boat/Plane/Elevator/Spaceship/Zoo/etc.]" Now creative brewing means slamming a traditional style with whirlpool and secondary hops and slapping "IPA" into the description.

I love well-crafted beers from Pils up through RIS, but the product should retain balance, if said balance is balanced-imbalance, as with something like Heady Topper -- there is opulence in aroma and flavor, but it's supported by the beer itself.

tl;dr: I agree with the OP. It's time for this notion that a beer designed to be boozy can be adapted to a session ale. ...and don't get me started on Blonde Stouts and Black Pilsners... :)

Found it.

session-ipa.jpg

My two pennies here. I see the marketing first hand a bit too often. I tell my coworkers "You have to have the pale ale" a specific example is Ale Smith's .394 Pale Ale (an exceptionally good Session IPA if I can make a joke here). But, time after time i hear them say they don't like pale ales and then they reach for a session IPA. I explain to them the difference and they agree and then ignore me. I go through this with them about single hop beers as well (warning them I guess about how its about tasting that specific hops character and not delivering the worlds best IPA, specifically mosaic. Not a huge fan of single hop mosaic beers) , they say it's not great I tell them it's exactly what it should be, but that's off topic. They only pretend to listen to me impart knowledge

another funny story (to me anyway). I walk into a small brewery and look at their menu to find a 5.5% session IPA and I comment, "5.5% session beers are a little up there don't you think?". The man behind the bar (I assume the owner/brewer/someone with interest there) smiles and says "yea, but people like it". So I had the wee heavy.

pretty much it seems that people "like" them and the little guys gotta keep people coming in so they can make money and more interesting beers that won't sell as fast or for as much money

Here is an excerpt from the BJCP guideline for American Pale Ale:

Less bitterness in the balance and alcohol strength than an American IPA. More balanced and drinkable, and less intensely hop-focused and bitter than session-strength
American IPAs (aka Session IPAs).

The ABV for a a session IPA is just above the MINMUM for the APA category.

I think most people sampling a true session IPA (All Day IPA from Founders) would notice that it's drier, more bitter, and hoppier than most American Pale Ales. The main purpose of the session IPA was to create an IPA-like hoppy bitterness in a beer that was lower in alcohol and less filling in palate than an IPA.

I haven't tried too many other brands of Session IPA, so I can't comment on how they make theirs, but All Day is Light, bitter, hoppy, and "drinkable". I was skeptical at first, but I think they really nailed the beer to fit its intended purpose.

Well, me olde uncle Horace Fitzroy Thribblefirth the 3rd who served with Drake, Nelson and Churchill on 74 gun sloops in the Raj still goes forth about the true IPA's being unrelated to the modern IPA. Way too much alcohol in a pint to be served to an infantry archer or even a knight in full cavalry armour, they'd be passed out before third breakfast.

Jokes aside, what defines a session beer? Low ABV is one element, but surely palate and aftertastes play an equal role. SA Breweries tried to introduce a ginger AFB as a session drink for the ladies in the early 2000s and it failed because the harsh ginger flavour repeated on people or left a burning feeling in their mouths if they had more than one.

That's what blonde, wheat and kolsch ales are for...

Ive had people ask if we have any IPAs then straight up walk out instead of even trying the APA. But they'd buy the same beer all day if it was a "session IPA."

This is my exact feelings. I feel that most IPA lovers I know are very narrow minded in the beer world. 'If it aint an IPA I don't want it' mind set. If you want a lower ABV with great hop aroma and less bitter, drink or make an APA that has that. Session IPA's IMO are just ridiculous and I'm a huge IPA guy. I just feel there are so many other styles to fit what most people want to use these for. Keep IPA's bold and bitter!! :mug:

This is my exact feelings. I feel that most IPA lovers I know are very narrow minded in the beer world. 'If it aint an IPA I don't want it' mind set. If you want a lower ABV with great hop aroma and less bitter, drink or make an APA that has that. Session IPA's IMO are just ridiculous and I'm a huge IPA guy. I just feel there are so many other styles to fit what most people want to use these for. Keep IPA's bold and bitter!! :mug:
But most standard APA's don't have near the hop character that these beers do, nor would they fit into that category because they are "too hoppy"...

I'm also getting tired of all this fruit-added IPA BS; grapefruit this, tangerine that, mango what... ugh, so dumb. This too shall pass...

Man I hope you're right. I'm a card carrying member of the Fruit Does Not Belong In Beer Club. It's a fad, like kale, that would be better gone sooner than later.

It's not even just IPAs...
Mexican Lagers w/ Lime = Gross
Wheat Beers (gross on its own) w/ Orange = Gross
Fruit Lambics = Gross
Bud Light Lime = Toxic

If i want fruit in my beer I'm going to make it a Four Loko!

Have you tried Brewdog, Dead Pony Club.. 3.8% but super hoppy, unreal stuff, i believe it will change your mind!!

Has anyone looked up the meaning of session . If I recall it's has to be below %5 .And ipa has to be above %7 . I don't see how you get a session ipa . I might be wrong here .

Has anyone looked up the meaning of session . If I recall it's has to be below %5 .And ipa has to be above %7 . I don't see how you get a session ipa . I might be wrong here .

Typically session would be considered under 5 percent, but IPAs do not have to be over 7 percent. If I remember correctly, its 5.5-7.5 percent for regular strength IPAs, and 7.5+ for Double IPAs. There may not be an entry in the style guidelines for a Session IPA, but that doesn't mean they don't exist or any other style that's not in the guidelines doesn't exist. There used to be no such thing as a Double IPA, but it's not a widely accepted style.

Absolutely can't stand it but I know its marketing more than anything. Ive had people ask if we have any IPAs then straight up walk out instead of even trying the APA. But they'd buy the same beer all day if it was a "session IPA." Drives me nuts. Especially when Ive always brewed my APAs hoppy, like hop bursted and dry hopped to nearly a # per barrel sort of hoppy.

I feel your pain..
Switch to a hanging little sign on your tap handle..One side says APA the other side says Session IPA (Or whatever) Just flip it over, pour and give them what they think they asked for..:D...

Another beer sold and another happy customer.

I agree that many commercial session IPAs are a let down. Same with double IPAs, but its the opposite issue. With session IPAs they come off thin and not hoppy enough. Like someone whirlpooled the crap out of a bud light. With double IPAs, they are almost always way too bitter and sweet in the finish. Just hoppy barleywines. Blech

But you just need to take a lot of considerations when making your own session IPAs. I've made a number of them that turned out well. The one I make with 1lb of Jolly Rancher candies is on point with body, hops, and finish. All the sweetness of the candies ferments out and the residual crap helps with the body I think

I agree that many commercial session IPAs are a let down. Same with double IPAs, but its the opposite issue. With session IPAs they come off thin and not hoppy enough. Like someone whirlpooled the crap out of a bud light. With double IPAs, they are almost always way too bitter and sweet in the finish. Just hoppy barleywines. Blech

But you just need to take a lot of considerations when making your own session IPAs. I've made a number of them that turned out well. The one I make with 1lb of Jolly Rancher candies is on point with body, hops, and finish. All the sweetness of the candies ferments out and the residual crap helps with the body I think

Now I want to make a saison with some sort of candy as the sugar...

"From factory to farmhouse"

I feel your pain..
Switch to a hanging little sign on your tap handle..One side says APA the other side says Session IPA (Or whatever) Just flip it over, pour and give them what they think they asked for..:D...

Another beer sold and another happy customer.

I am in love with apa still not in love with ipa .I do love a Belgian inspired ipa. Cattywompus from devil backbone is the shizz.

Well said. That's why I don't like squatter's hop rising. Too sweet.

Session ipas being somewhat contradictory doesn't bother me. I love black ipa and ketchup on hotdogs too. That said, I have had one from a local micro brewery that tasted like cat piss.

Funny story, my dad came over for dinner a while back. Guess which beers he brought. Wag the dog (local session ipa infused with cat piss) and hop rising. I choked down two of each before he left.:D

Ps, je ne sais quoi is what I'm going to. Call the next heretical contradictory beer I make. Or maybe spell it phonetically;)

Here's what BJCP has to say to distinguish various IPAs from other pale brews. This is from the Specialty IPA category.

"The term ‘IPA’ is used as a singular descriptor of a type of hoppy, bitter beer. It is not meant to be spelled out as ‘India Pale Ale’ when used in the context of a Specialty IPA. None of these beers ever historically went to India, and many aren’t pale. But the craft beer market knows what to expect in balance when a beer is described as an ‘IPA’ – so the modifiers used to differentiate them are based on that concept alone. Recognizable as an IPA by balance – a hop-forward, bitter, dryish beer – with something else present to distinguish it from the standard categories."

Also ...

"Entry Instructions: Entrant must specify a strength (session, standard, double); if no strength is specified, standard will be assumed."

They seem to be pretty clear that IPAs, even sessions, are different than pale ales. Whether or not you like them is a different matter :D

I just tapped a great beer I consider a session IPA. I added some flaked oats for body, fermented with wy1968, and mashed a bit higher than normal and hopped the hell out of it. It's about 4.8% and has tons of hops flavor as well as body. Probably one of the best beers I've made.

Currently drinking a White IPA I made that's 4.75%, so session strength. It does not resemble any APA I've ever had. Over 60 IBUs, great mouthfeel from being half wheat, bone dry, and my mouth is covered in lingering hop oil and flavor. Screw conventional thinking about what constitutes an IPA, because this is everything I'd ever want out of an IPA.

I downed four pints of Rogness Titanoboa in a single night and only had a light buzz. Probably could have had eight more before my motor functions became useless. I suppose that makes it a session IPA?

I am totally on board with your thoughts, most are way gross. The ones I see keep popping up, Stone, Founders, they are friggin terrible. The only time I found one I liked was Terrapin's Recreation Ale. I got it accidentally, so good I clone it. Otherwise if I see session IPA on the label I skip over that one

I don't like founders session IPA, the taste of it, but not a big founders fan.

The session IPA I like is boulevards Pop up IPA.

Color (EBC) 14
Bitterness (IBUs) 40.5
Original Gravity (Plato) 10.5
Terminal Gravity (Plato) 2.85
Alcohol (ABV) 4.3%

To me it's a fine beer. I would drink it if it was a standard IPA.

Hops need a good strong malt backbone for balance or the beer ranges from "eh" to gross. Sessions have so little maltiness to them that these session IPAs are all just not for me.

Hops need a good strong malt backbone for balance or the beer ranges from "eh" to gross. Sessions have so little maltiness to them that these session IPAs are all just not for me.

Maybe IPAs just arent for you then? Because they most certainly are NOT supposed to have a strong malt backbone. You are describing an american strong ale like Arrogant Bastard

IMO, the idea of "balance" in an IPA needs to be considered through the lens of IPA as a style. An IPA is not balanced. If it was, it wouldn't be an IPA, itd be an american strong ale, or overhopped amber ale, or something. If an IPA has enough malt presence to create a sweet finish like you'd have in a "balanced' Irish Red, then you made it wrong. When a well made IPA is said to be "balanced" it just means that its got just enough support from the malt & yeast so the hop character is not too abrasive and you get a pleasing finish. The beer itself is still a very unbalanced beer in terms of hops/yeast/malt

From 2015 BJCP guidelines
Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to very high, and should reflect
an American or New World hop character, such as citrus,
floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry,
melon, etc. Medium-high to very high hop bitterness. Malt
flavor should be low to medium-low
, and is generally clean and
grainy-malty although some light caramel or toasty flavors are
acceptable. Low yeast-derived fruitiness is acceptable but not
required. Dry to medium-dry finish; residual sweetness should
be low to none. The bitterness and hop flavor may linger into
the aftertaste but should not be harsh. A very light, clean
alcohol flavor may be noted in stronger versions. May be
slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit this
character.

To me an IPA with a strong malt backbone is unbalanced and too maltly. The hops are the showcase here...

Maybe IPAs just arent for you then? Because they most certainly are NOT supposed to have a strong malt backbone. You are describing an american strong ale like Arrogant Bastard

IMO, the idea of "balance" in an IPA needs to be considered through the lens of IPA as a style. An IPA is not balanced. If it was, it wouldn't be an IPA, itd be an american strong ale, or overhopped amber ale, or something. If an IPA has enough malt presence to create a sweet finish like you'd have in a "balanced' Irish Red, then you made it wrong. When a well made IPA is said to be "balanced" it just means that its got just enough support from the malt & yeast so the hop character is not too abrasive and you get a pleasing finish. The beer itself is still a very unbalanced beer in terms of hops/yeast/malt

From 2015 BJCP guidelines

Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to very high, and should reflect

an American or New World hop character, such as citrus,

floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry,

melon, etc. Medium-high to very high hop bitterness. Malt

flavor should be low to medium-low
, and is generally clean and

grainy-malty although some light caramel or toasty flavors are

acceptable. Low yeast-derived fruitiness is acceptable but not

required. Dry to medium-dry finish; residual sweetness should

be low to none. The bitterness and hop flavor may linger into

the aftertaste but should not be harsh. A very light, clean

alcohol flavor may be noted in stronger versions. May be

slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit this

character.

I agree, but many people don't I guess.

When I pour an "IPA" and it's red/deep Amber I'm worried. I like my IPAs crisp, light Amber at most. Then again one of my favorite styles is saison.

I'm okay with a little sweetness in a double, but not cloying.

I am in between on what makes it a session. Is it a totally new beer, or a marketing ploy. To me it is a bit of both. The session IPA are the little sisters of a companies big brother IPA. You can't have a session IPA by itself, you need to have the comparison between the two. Make a really good IPA, beef it up Double IPA, more beef Imperial IPA, back it off, session IPA. Need to have the reference point to go off of. BTW, I like IPA's, ISA, the occasional Double, but the imperials can stay away. If I need a pine tree wrung out and poured down my throat, that is what I will do.

And Central City ISA and IPA are the best two comparisons that I can think of

I am in between on what makes it a session. Is it a totally new beer, or a marketing ploy. To me it is a bit of both. The session IPA are the little sisters of a companies big brother IPA. You can't have a session IPA by itself, you need to have the comparison between the two. Make a really good IPA, beef it up Double IPA, more beef Imperial IPA, back it off, session IPA. Need to have the reference point to go off of. BTW, I like IPA's, ISA, the occasional Double, but the imperials can stay away. If I need a pine tree wrung out and poured down my throat, that is what I will do.

And Central City ISA and IPA are the best two comparisons that I can think of

As far as I've ever heard double and imperial mean the same thing in regard to the strength of an IPA.

Every session IPA I've ever had is in one of 2 categories
- Not one
-Sucked

Latest posts

Back