The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally heard some feedback from a guy at work who I gave a slightly-to-moderately hoppy Amarillo IPA. He had been telling me about how much of a beer lover and a beer expert he was. I love this beer, and so do other's that I have given it to, but this was his response-

Him- "What the hell did you do? Piss in that bottle?"
Me- "Ha! What did you think of it?" (thinking he was joking)
Him- "No seriously! That was the worst thing I had ever tasted! It smelled wicked strong, and a second after swallowing it, it left this horrible after taste in your mouth. I gave some to (wife's name) and she said the same thing. That bottle had two sips taken out, and the rest went down the drain. Sorry!"
Me- "Uh, ok? Well what did it taste like?"
Him- "Kind of bitter and a weird taste, I don't really know how else to describe it. I'm not picky when it comes to beer, and I drink all sorts of weird beers, even Guinness!"
Me- "Well, this batch is an IPA, it's pretty much the complete opposite of a Guinness..." I got interrupted before I could explain the differences in an all-malt Guinness and an all-hop IPA.
Him- "I know what an IPA is, but that was just awful!"

Welcome to the world of IPAs I guess?
I just shrugged it off as "Oh well", but I'm still upset that he didn't even take more than one sip.

I had given him previous batches of beer, one being a dunkelweizen. His response to that was, "Wow! This is great! It tastes just like a Honey Brown!"
Actually, it was nowhere close to Honey Brown...

beninan said:
Finally heard some feedback from a guy at work who I gave a slightly-to-moderately hoppy Amarillo IPA. He had been telling me about how much of a beer lover and a beer expert he was. I love this beer, and so do other's that I have given it to, but this was his response-

Him- "What the hell did you do? Piss in that bottle?"
Me- "Ha! What did you think of it?" (thinking he was joking)
Him- "No seriously! That was the worst thing I had ever tasted! It smelled wicked strong, and a second after swallowing it, it left this horrible after taste in your mouth. I gave some to (wife's name) and she said the same thing. That bottle had two sips taken out, and the rest went down the drain. Sorry!"
Me- "Uh, ok? Well what did it taste like?"
Him- "Kind of bitter and a weird taste, I don't really know how else to describe it. I'm not picky when it comes to beer, and I drink all sorts of weird beers, even Guinness!"
Me- "Well, this batch is an IPA, it's pretty much the complete opposite of a Guinness..." I got interrupted before I could explain the differences in an all-malt Guinness and an all-hop IPA.
Him- "I know what an IPA is, but that was just awful!"

Welcome to the world of IPAs I guess?
I just shrugged it off as "Oh well", but I'm still upset that he didn't even take more than one sip.

I had given him previous batches of beer, one being a dunkelweizen. His response to that was, "Wow! This is great! It tastes just like a Honey Brown!"
Actually, it was nowhere close to Honey Brown...

Conclusion: stop giving that assclown any more of your beer.

Conclusion: stop giving that assclown any more of your beer.

That's what I initially thought, but I think I'll just try to remember what he likes, and give him similar beers. I like hearing him say that he likes it, and compare it to something completely different, rather than him not liking it at all and dumping it.

ok, fine. I recend my statement and formally apologize to the waitress via this thread post. I know good and well all wheats aren't hazy. Now stop tearing me a new one and get back to the OP....

Thanks for the graph,reno. I'll pass that along when my IPA's ready to drink. But that'll likely be a month,since it'll be in primary 2 weeks this Saturday. !st FG test then...:ban:

At the neighborhood BBQ few weeks back I had a kolsch, an ordinary bitter, and an IPA. My hardcore Bud Light neighbor tasted the kolsch and said it was good, like blue moon, but it needed and orange. I shrugged it off. A bit later he tried the IPA, and said it wasn't as good as the first one, but would be better with an orange also. I almost said if you put an orange in my IPA I'm taking my toys and going home.

Not really a stupid comment but I find it hilarious none the less. I had some friends over a few weeks ago for a BBQ. None of them are hard core beer nerds, but they all like good beer. So I chilled down a few cases of beer. Some English Dark Mild, Belgian Single and my Strawberry Ginger Kolsch.

The Strawberry Ginger Kolsch was made for my wife. And I just brought it out for the girls who don't drink beer to have something they'd like to drink. And admittedly, it is a damn good beer for what it is. But it was the first thing gone. All of the guys tore through the Strawberry Kolsch and left the other two practically untouched.

At the neighborhood BBQ few weeks back I had a kolsch, an ordinary bitter, and an IPA. My hardcore Bud Light neighbor tasted the kolsch and said it was good, like blue moon, but it needed and orange. I shrugged it off. A bit later he tried the IPA, and said it wasn't as good as the first one, but would be better with an orange also. I almost said if you put an orange in my IPA I'm taking my toys and going home.

roflnut.gif

trigger said:

Make a orange beer and let him try that. Hmmmm it would be better with an orange:)

I was in the process of filling the air lock on the fermenter with vodka when my MIL came in to the room. She saw what I was doing and asked if that's how got the extra alcohol into my beer.

Just have a ******* friend that knows **** all about brewing but wants to always develop a stupid recipe and use my equipment and ingredients to do it.

"We dont need yeast, we can just use wild yeast." oh yeah? do that on your own equipment.

Just have a ******* friend that knows **** all about brewing but wants to always develop a stupid recipe and use my equipment and ingredients to do it.

"We dont need yeast, we can just use wild yeast." oh yeah? do that on your own equipment.

Oh oh oh! Please tell me he wanted to do a basic American or English ale recipe with wild yeast!

Kokopuff829 said:
Make a orange beer and let him try that. Hmmmm it would be better with an orange:)

I was out with my family and a few of their friends recently, and one asked the waitress for a suggestion on something different to try - they had 20 macro beers available and not a single (real) craft beer, so I didn't really have my own suggestion.

Anyways, the waitress asked her if she liked orange beers. Nobody knew what she was talking about. She then proceeded to rattle off the names of a few beers, all of them produced by megaswill corps.

Turns out, she was referring to witbiers (literally, "white beers") as "orange beers". Can't say I was too bothered or surprised by it at a place that had 20 taps and couldn't dedicate even a SINGLE ONE to a craft beer. I drank Coke that night :)

i always get weird responses from my friends/family who try the craft beers i drink. although some of them like good beer just like me, many of them are perfectly content with their choice of the big three. gross. you dont have to like it, but how can you live life without trying as many new things as possible? its just beyond me..

Really, meaty? I just can't see that at all. It's rich, fairly thick. I guess meaty might work. It just seemed really wierd at the time.

I was out with my family and a few of their friends recently, and one asked the waitress for a suggestion on something different to try - they had 20 macro beers available and not a single (real) craft beer, so I didn't really have my own suggestion.

Anyways, the waitress asked her if she liked orange beers. Nobody knew what she was talking about. She then proceeded to rattle off the names of a few beers, all of them produced by megaswill corps.

Turns out, she was referring to witbiers (literally, "white beers") as "orange beers". Can't say I was too bothered or surprised by it at a place that had 20 taps and couldn't dedicate even a SINGLE ONE to a craft beer. I drank Coke that night :)

since wit beers should normally use orange peel in the recipe she wasnt wrong...

SwampassJ said:
I think they call them orange beers because someone always stick a dirty orange slice onto the rim.

Yep, this is obviously why she called it that.

people always ask me how i can drink blue moon or harpoon hefe without an orange and i just say, because i enjoy the beer. i personally dont think they need oranges to spunk up the flavor. some people just dont understand i guess.

It iz part of ze Reinheitsgebot, Ze German Beer Purity Law!
Where are your papers?!!?

I personally believe that fruit has no business garnishing GOOD BEER. Corona without a lime however, just tastes like piss to me.

It iz part of ze Reinheitsgebot, Ze German Beer Purity Law!
Where are your papers?!!?

I personally believe that fruit has no business garnishing GOOD BEER. Corona without a lime however, just tastes like piss to me.

i agree whole heartedly. id rather a landshark than a corona though.:rockin:

I haven't tried Landshark yet. I have a hard time buying beer that comes in twist offs and are not brown.
Capital Brewery makes some really good beer but I won't buy their beer from the liquor store just because I cant re-use the twist-offs.
Stupid, I know because my wife tells me everyday!

To co-workers "Hey I'm rolling out some new brews and am really excited about how they've turned out"

One back "so...when're you giving them to me" -thanks for the appreciation or interest as to what was made.

"what about the bottles from the last pack I gave you"
"oh...you wanted those back"

Most obnoxious comment ever:

"Yeah this beer is ok i guess, but don't you think it's a little tacky to put a tip jar on next to the taps?"

This was at a party at my house where the invite clearly said, "BYOB and a snack to share"
This toolbox did neither. I took his beer and told him to get out his wallet if he wanted it back.

"i taste <you fill in the blank> which is out of style"

^ but it actually is part of the style. lol

or one of my coworkers "I don't drink anything homebrewed"

Being in Chicago ,I brewed the Deception cream stout (AG). turned out great btw. Hand's BIG mug to wife and say here taste this 1 , She gives me that o so beautiful face after big gulp and says OMG that shet taste like that dam dog beer from Rock Bottom Brewery.So I pat myself on my back and say he** yea. Wasnt sure if that was insult or compliment

Most obnoxious comment ever:

"Yeah this beer is ok i guess, but don't you think it's a little tacky to put a tip jar on next to the taps?"

This was at a party at my house where the invite clearly said, "BYOB and a snack to share"
This toolbox did neither. I took his beer and told him to get out his wallet if he wanted it back.

I don't have a tip jar, but I do have an "ingredient fund" jar

Back