The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After trying my Irish Red Ale..."I liked it, what kind of Bock is this again? I've had Amber Bock"

Guess that's the closest BMC he could find.

My aunt keeps asking to make her some Vodka. My mom wants to know when the light beer will be ready (Cream ale is fermenting now). Either way, if they don't like the cream ale, it will be a nice learning experience for US 05 and FWH.

I know it has been mentioned here before but i just gt the whole "stout is the dregs from regular beer" comment at the bar.

My brother in law dropped that one on me this last year. We were talking about beer - and he knows that I brew and am passionate about the subject. He gives me a 5 minute lecture on how when they brew in Germany "the stuff they take off the top of the vat is your traditional light yellow beer, the stuff from the middle is the amber, and the stuff at the bottom is the really dark beer." He had some detailed story about witnessing people pour and drink beer this way. I didn't feel like arguing.

It's not about my beer but I was at a bar last week and some other customers were looking at the new Miller Lite rifled bottle.

Guy: So why do they have those ripples in the bottle?

Woman: When the beer gets poured they infuse it with some kinda flavoring. Fruit or something.

Me: lol wut?

When discussing Stouts:

"Yeah I really like Guinness DRAWT (Draught, pronounced draft as you all know), but I'm not a big fan of the whole DRAWT style of beer."

Me trying to explain how draught is pronounced draft, and is called such because of the widget and how it is supposed to be like a pulled pint.

"No, drawts are like stouts, they just use different hops."

Me: Oh ok, I was wrong.

I know it has been mentioned here before but i just gt the whole "stout is the dregs from regular beer" comment at the bar.

I have heard this about Bock but not Stout. I wonder how this idea ever came to be? It is basically saying "All beer is made from the same ingredients it's just a matter of where you pour the beer from in the barrel."

People are probably misunderstanding how partigyle brewing works. In olden times it was standard practice and it produced multiple batches of varying gravity from the same mash. Still stupid to go spouting off as if they know the facts, but that's probably where they get the idea.

it's been said a few times already, but we still make fun of this buddy who thinks he is the know all of the universe.

sipping a fat tire clone. "wow, this is a really hoppy beer"

the rest of us just smiled and said uh huh.

Stupid girl in my program: "Can I try one of your beers?" (Imperial Amber, 80+ IBU)

Me: "I don't think you'll like it..." (she went to a brewpub with us one time and asked for woodchuck cidar!

Girl: "I'd really like to try it though"

I open up a bottle and pour into pint glass. She drinks.

Girl: "What is the flavoring in this beer?"

Me: "Just barley, hops, water, and yeast"

Girl: "Are you sure, it tastes like there's something there?"

Me: "That's just the hops"

Girl: "Oh it's interesting..."

*SMH*

People are probably misunderstanding how partigyle brewing works. In olden times it was standard practice and it produced multiple batches of varying gravity from the same mash. Still stupid to go spouting off as if they know the facts, but that's probably where they get the idea.

Am I wrong to think that the only real difference in partigyle brews is the ABV and "heaviness" of the beer?

When discussing Stouts:

"Yeah I really like Guinness DRAWT (Draught, pronounced draft as you all know), but I'm not a big fan of the whole DRAWT style of beer."

Me trying to explain how draught is pronounced draft, and is called such because of the widget and how it is supposed to be like a pulled pint.

"No, drawts are like stouts, they just use different hops."

Me: Oh ok, I was wrong.

I've heard it pronounced "drawt" on a BN show one time, and they went into how it is pronounced either way, but more common is "draft."

Yeah the pronunciation thing just irks me. The real kicker was how he thought it was a different style of beer similar to stouts, and since I am not the kind of guy to beat you over the head and say "YOU'RE WRONG" I tried the gentle "Oh, I always thought....." and he was just like "No, you were wrong." lol Still a good buddy though.

I have heard this about Bock but not Stout. I wonder how this idea ever came to be? It is basically saying "All beer is made from the same ingredients it's just a matter of where you pour the beer from in the barrel."

Am I wrong to think that the only real difference in partigyle brews is the ABV and "heaviness" of the beer?

It's the process. The first "heavy" runnings have highly concentrated sugars and make a stronger alcohol beer. The second runnings make a low ABV beer.

Personally, I think this comes from brewing a beer racking off the primary/finished beer, then pouring wort on the dregs of finished yeast. Bocks tradiitionally are usually high abv beers. I think is where the dregs moniker comes from. Get the high OG wort onto a yeast cake so the cell count is real high.

this is the wrong place for this, but it's just funny. I'm sitting in a manhattan bar drinking when 4 dudescome in and order 2 magners, a hiney and a bud light. The Bud lightgiys a juicer and shoulda been on Jersey Shore. So they're drinkin and then order a roundof flavored vodka shots. They throw em down and as soon as the juicer puts hisshot glass down grabs his bud light and takes a huge swig, puts it down and proclaims......." THAT's how you start a holiday weekend". I couldn't help to think that chasers are for clowns and bud lights for clowns that have day jobs at McDonalds, so to me it's just funny. And it's not a " I brew my own beer so I'm superior" thing, more of a funny pub observation that I didn't know where else to put

this is the wrong place for this, but it's just funny. I'm sitting in a manhattan bar drinking when 4 dudescome in and order 2 magners, a hiney and a bud light. The Bud lightgiys a juicer and shoulda been on Jersey Shore. So they're drinkin and then order a roundof flavored vodka shots. They throw em down and as soon as the juicer puts hisshot glass down grabs his bud light and takes a huge swig, puts it down and proclaims......." THAT's how you start a holiday weekend". I couldn't help to think that chasers are for clowns and bud lights for clowns that have day jobs at McDonalds, so to me it's just funny. And it's not a " I brew my own beer so I'm superior" thing, more of a funny pub observation that I didn't know where else to put

Makes me want to start a new thread. In fact, I will. :tank:

I was at a bar a week or two ago with my friend who is also a homebrewer.

My friend to the bartender: "Do you have any dark beers?"
bartender: *she starts naming almost every beer they have (mostly light lagers)*
My friend interrupts her: "None of those are dark. Do you have anything dark?"
bartender: "We have Sam Adams." (referring to the Boston Lager)
Me: "That's not a dark beer."
bartender: "It's dark to me."

From a BMC drinker. "I didn't know beer could taste that good"

Them when given an Amber Ale: "Oh, what did you do? Mix beer and Guinness?"
Me: "No, that's a beer. And so is Guinness."
Them: Laughing "Oh don't be silly. Everyone knows beer is yellow. So what did you do really?"

And not stupid at all, but it did make me laugh.

The German wife of the neighbor down the street. "$*#@ yes! I finally found some real beer in the country! I hate that piss in a can!"

The German wife of the neighbor down the street. "$*#@ yes! I finally found some real beer in the country! I hate that piss in a can!"

Yep every German I've seen subjected to our BMC beers says the same thing "this is like piss water" seriously I've heard this basic insult at least a dozen times over the years.

So far the only German other than me (well I'm half) to try my brews (a stout) said that it was a lot thicker and heavier than he liked, and I should work on making a good Export instead. Not really ready to try lagers.

I can relate to that insult... ;) It was nearly a year after I came back from Germany before I kept Budweiser in the fridge again...

I was at a bar a week or two ago with my friend who is also a homebrewer.

My friend to the bartender: "Do you have any dark beers?"
bartender: *she starts naming almost every beer they have (mostly light lagers)*
My friend interrupts her: "None of those are dark. Do you have anything dark?"
bartender: "We have Sam Adams." (referring to the Boston Lager)
Me: "That's not a dark beer."
bartender: "It's dark to me."

meh, this is your friend being a snob.

you think every 22 year old waitress knows everything about beer?

when i go somewhere, unless its a place that is distinctly a beer bar, i just ask for a list.

"How did you make it?" - What followed this question was generally a very long 'salesman' like answer that they really didn't want to hear. It took me years to adjust.

meh, this is your friend being a snob.

you think every 22 year old waitress knows everything about beer?

when i go somewhere, unless its a place that is distinctly a beer bar, i just ask for a list.

Yes and no. The bartender could've asked what she meant by "dark" if she wasn't sure; the friend could've clarified a bit more since dark doesn't necessarily equate with black in some peoples' minds.

I got "this is good, what's it made out of"
me-just mentioned some things like malts, hops, yeast, water , honey, etc
"you put honey in it. wtf is this..TEA"

i just laughed and realized that he was buzzed off one and he said he felt good afterwards but then was scared to try another. haha

Yep every German I've seen subjected to our BMC beers says the same thing "this is like piss water" seriously I've heard this basic insult at least a dozen times over the years.

So far the only German other than me (well I'm half) to try my brews (a stout) said that it was a lot thicker and heavier than he liked, and I should work on making a good Export instead. Not really ready to try lagers.

Funny, I know several Germans who love Budweiser.

I just got back from Eppelheim and my new favorite beer is weis/pils.

Yes and no. The bartender could've asked what she meant by "dark" if she wasn't sure; the friend could've clarified a bit more since dark doesn't necessarily equate with black in some peoples' minds.
I'm with the hearty portion of meat on this one. As a bartender, it's your JOB to at least know something about what you're serving. It's like going into a restaurant, and asking the waiter what's good on the menu, and getting a response of "I dunno, all I eat is burgers and fries." I'm not saying you need to be a beer sommelier, or be a graduate from the UC Davis Brew School, but you should at LEAST be able to tell the difference between a dark beer and a light one.

Here's to Budvar.

TrierDayandNight1004resize.jpg

It's a step in the right direction for some of my friends but still funny. After letting them try a hefeweizen and us all talking about what they taste in it, I am always told to brew more "banana" or "bubble gum" beer.

Back