The other thing that sucks....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS. I heard that T. Cable is out after this year..?

Well, Davis has a tough decision to make... Cables contract needs to be extended or Hue Jackson gets promoted.. If Davis extends Cables contract, then it's very likely that Jackson will get a HC offer from one of the many teams that are in need of a HC next year.. Jackson has done an amazing job with our offense.. And the play calling is exponentially better than it has been since gruden/callahan...

But Cable is a Raider and has done a fantastic job getting the whole team to 'believe'... So what do you do?

If I were Davis, I would extend Cables contract, and offer Jackson 'big' money to stay... But Davis has a history of not paying big money to coaches...

So who knows what is going to happen, but I really hope that the staff stays intact for a while.. Things are really starting to click.. and the AFC west is about to become a very tough division again... San De-eggo has rivers, who can carry a team on his back in spite of Norvell, Elway is coming on staff at Menver and Tebow is a winner IMO who will get the team to play for him.. KC is already playing well, and the Raiders are on the rise...

Whatever Davis does about Cable, he owes it to the man to do it soon... There's also a possibility that if Davis offers the HC job to Jackson, then Cable will stay on as an assistant...

If it were me, I'd extend cable and then do what I can to keep Jackson on the payroll though...

Definitely a different scenario than the raiders have been having to deal with for a few years though... For the past 6 years, it's been what to do about a bad coach.. Now it's how to choose between good ones...

Oh, and regarding singletary... His problem is that he is from a different generation.. The hard ass approach just doesn't work any more..

Shell had the same problem when he came back to oakland the second time.. That approach didn't work anymore... Well, that and the fact that Davis waited so long to hire him, that there was no one left but bed and breakfast for OC... That season was an unmitigated disaster...

Your arguments against me are getting more and more ridiculous. Do you even read my posts or just randomly quote them. You have misinterpreted everything I have said.

Cable broke the jaw of an assistant while he was the Raiders coach. Everyone in that locker room said so. Fire him there. His contract will not get renewed because 8-8 is not good enough for Davis even though they are showing progress. He appears to me to be leading the team in the right direction, just as Kiffin was doing, but it is not quick enough for Davis.

I never said you used stats, I said you asked for facts which is what they are. I used stats to prove my point. You are correct that getting 4 rookies to start is incredibly difficult to do but you have to remember that every situation is different. The higher the quality of competition the less likely it is that you will draft 4 guys able to start as rookies. Just because Sam Bradford starts his rookie season in St. Louis doesn't mean he starts for every team in the NFL. If I can't listen to the talking heads and use them in my argument then quite telling me when they say good things about the Raiders. If I can't use stats in my argument then quite using them to support your arguments. The truth is the only facts that you accept are the one's in your head.

Don't talk to me about what my generation does. You argue like a baby. "I'm right and you're wrong." "I'm older than you and I'm smarter." "You're picking on me because I disagree." There is no doubt in my mind that you have every right to be proud of the direction of your team and your draft class. I have every right to doubt whether or not any of it will come to fruition, whether you agree or not. If only a Raiders fan is allowed to talk to you about your team then don't come into this thread, go to a Raiders forum where you can all talk about how great of an 8-8 team they are. And then you can discuss how your once proud franchise hasn't had a winning season in 8 years. But I'm not a Raiders fan so I guess I can't bring that up (not to mention won-loss record might constitute a stat).

I did not watch the Raiders play yesterday. I was too busy watching my Vikings end a very disappointing and miserable season. Maybe they'll trade all their draft picks for some over the hill has been this off season. I can only hope. Speaking of the Vikings, I was not alive in 76 to watch the Raiders win the super bowl. I'm sorry I did not see it and therefore I cannot be angry at the Raiders for anything. Maybe dad is angry about the "beatdown." Although I doubt it since he doesn't watch football.

This will be last post regarding any of this. All I did was disagree with a Raider fan who was overzealous about his team. I'm not a hater, I couldn't care less about them, and I have not repeated rhetoric from some tv blow hard. I have just voiced my opinion from my 25 years of watching them rise and fall which I believe I am allowed to do. r8rphan good luck with your team. As Cubs fans love to say, "there is always next year."

Most people I know never asked for/wanted MORE regular season games...they all (me included) wanted LESS preseason games. Especially since most if not all teams charge season ticket holders full regular-season-price for those 2 home preseason games. I know a guy who's had Buccaneers season tickets for 20 years but didn't renew this year simply because of them charging full price for 10 home games (8 real games and 2 preseason BS games).

But the NFL and TV make money off of preseason games so they're not just going to dump 2 preseason games...so they decided to add 2 regular season games.

If people would just boycott preseason maybe we could change this but people keep tuning in. Just say NO! Do not tune in to preseason games no matter what; they suck anyway, you're not missing anything.

I'm going to have to go on the minority here and say I don't want to see the regular season expanded. One of the things I like most about football is that with its relatively small amount of games, it's kind of a sprint to the playoffs. I like how it balances out my other favorite sport, baseball, which is definitely classified as a marathon to the post season.

Also, I'm not a big fan of changing the amount of regular season games in any sport based on what another poster already brought up and that is stats and records. Baseball and the pre-steroids home run record is a good example of what I'm talking about.

The last reason is that they will be starting the regular season earlier. If they add the extra games to the end of the season instead of the beginning, that would be fine. I just think footballs should be played in the cold, not a warm summer day. Also, this would help bridge the gap between football season and spring training which would be a bonus.

Ultimately though, if they do expand the season, I'm not going to be too upset about it. I'll get over it and enjoy my two extra Sundays full of football.

Your arguments against me are getting more and more ridiculous. Do you even read my posts or just randomly quote them. You have misinterpreted everything I have said.

Yes, I have.. I'm only responding to what you actually said, not whatever it was you might have 'meant'..

Cable broke the jaw of an assistant while he was the Raiders coach. Everyone in that locker room said so. Fire him there. His contract will not get renewed because 8-8 is not good enough for Davis even though they are showing progress. He appears to me to be leading the team in the right direction, just as Kiffin was doing, but it is not quick enough for Davis.

What do you know about that incident... If what has been said about the incident by those who were there is true, then the guy deserved his jaw broken.. I do know that when that happened, he instantly won the hearts of the team and the rest of the coaching staff.. as the guy whose jaw was broken was a whining, back stabbing, snitch, who was undermining everything that Cable was trying to do.. The players hated him, and the coaches hated him.. But he was a kiss ass to Davis.. and that's the only reason he was still employed... Once the 'incident' happened, you notice that they moved 'him' away from the team, and not anyone else?

I dunno, if I was Cable, and someone was undermining me and trying to get me fired, I might just haul off and break his jaw too (or worse)... Football is a mans game, and whiney little punks playing office politics, will generally be dealt with a bit differently than the same situation in a white collar company full of girly men and gossipy women.. Case in point...

I never said you used stats, I said you asked for facts which is what they are. I used stats to prove my point.

And I didn't say you said I used stats.. you said I asked for them...

from post #36 you said
Stats are quantifiable facts... that's what you asked for. So, I gave it to you. I do agree stats are overrated but they also serve as a way to judge performance. They certainly do more to prove my point than you claiming your opinion as fact.

You are correct that getting 4 rookies to start is incredibly difficult to do but you have to remember that every situation is different. The higher the quality of competition the less likely it is that you will draft 4 guys able to start as rookies. Just because Sam Bradford starts his rookie season in St. Louis doesn't mean he starts for every team in the NFL.

Now you're spinning and back pedaling...

If I can't listen to the talking heads and use them in my argument then quite telling me when they say good things about the Raiders. If I can't use stats in my argument then quite using them to support your arguments. The truth is the only facts that you accept are the one's in your head.

trouble is, that you are repeating crap that has been said over and over for 'decades'.. And yet Davis keeps putting winning teams on the field.. decade in, and decade out.. Every time he is accused of running the raiders into the ground, He puts another great team together, and then the same talking heads, give the 'coaches' the credit.. But only give Davis the credit for the failures... THAT is the point I've been trying to drive home to from the get go...

For instance, yeah, we've had 7 years for losing... Davis keeps rolling the dice and seeing if lucky seven comes up... But it was only 2002 when the raiders put together a team that played in the big dance... So should I talk shyt about the Vikings management and how senile and incompetent they are because they haven't been to the big dance in 33 years? Almost five times as long?

Don't talk to me about what my generation does.

Who gave you the authority to demand what another can or can not talk about?

You argue like a baby.
and you argue like an insolent spoiled know it all brat.. So what's your point?

"I'm right and you're wrong."
When it comes to your assertions about Al Davis and the Raiders, this is fact.. Sorry that pisses you off, but that is what it is.. I'm not the one who opened my pie hole about things I did not know about.. that was you...

"I'm older than you
Unless you have lied about your age, this too is fact.. Sorry again, if that pisses you off, but it is what it is..

and I'm smarter."
I 'never' said that.. I said I know more about the Raiders than you.. This too seems to piss you off.. I'm not sure why, but it only makes sense that someone who has been a Raiders football junkie for longer than you are alive, would know more than someone who doesn't even casually follow the team for a much shorter period... You seem to have some sort of deep seated insecurity about this, that I could possibly call you out on your erronious accusations when you yourself even admitted you haven't followed the team closely nor even watched any of their games this year..

"You're picking on me because I disagree."
I never said or implied any such thing.. And you say it is 'I' who argues like a baby? LOL

There is no doubt in my mind that you have every right to be proud of the direction of your team and your draft class.

yet you sure seemed to get upset when I defended them... The way I see it, you threw out some BS, tired ole rhetoric that has been around longer than you have watched the game, got called out on th carpet for it, and instead of just manning up and admitting that your mouth over rode your ass on a subject you really didn't know that much about, you got pissy and started trying to defend yourself..

I have every right to doubt whether or not any of it will come to fruition, whether you agree or not.

That's fine, but when someone calls you on the carpet because you're full of it, don't get all pissy... Just admit you were wrong and move on.. It's really not that hard.. I do it all the time...

If only a Raiders fan is allowed to talk to you about your team then don't come into this thread, go to a Raiders forum where you can all talk about how great of an 8-8 team they are. And then you can discuss how your once proud franchise hasn't had a winning season in 8 years. But I'm not a Raiders fan so I guess I can't bring that up (not to mention won-loss record might constitute a stat).

Dude.. what in the world are you talking about.. where did I ever say you are or not allowed to talk about something?... I just said you are full of crap and you don't know what you're talking about.. I never told you to shut up.. If you want to open you mouth and spew a bunch of inaccurate crap on a subject you admitted you know little about.. be my guest... who am I to stand in the way of your attempts to embarrass yourself?

Go for it, for all I care..

I did not watch the Raiders play yesterday. I was too busy watching my Vikings end a very disappointing and miserable season. Maybe they'll trade all their draft picks for some over the hill has been this off season. I can only hope. Speaking of the Vikings, I was not alive in 76 to watch the Raiders win the super bowl. I'm sorry I did not see it and therefore I cannot be angry at the Raiders for anything. Maybe dad is angry about the "beatdown." Although I doubt it since he doesn't watch football.

whatever junior... :D

This will be last post regarding any of this.
your call..

All I did was disagree with a Raider fan who was overzealous about his team.

That is called 'revisionist history'.. another thing your generation is programmed to do...

The 'truth' is that you spewed some BS, and I corrected you, and you got pissy about it...

I'm not a hater, I couldn't care less about them, and I have not repeated rhetoric from some tv blow hard.

point 1.. not a hater.. I do not know you.. all I can do is go by the things you typed.. which were symptomatic of a 'hater'...

point 2.. about caring about the raiders.. no sweat off my back either way..

point 3 about repeating rhetoric of TV blowhards,, This is a lie.. that is exactly what you did...

I have just voiced my opinion from my 25 years of watching them rise and fall which I believe I am allowed to do. r8rphan good luck with your team. As Cubs fans love to say, "there is always next year."

If you have spent so much time watching them, how is it you know so little about them.. This is the first 'evidence' you've given that you might indeed be an 'idiot'.. For to watch a team for 25 years and know almost nothing about them, speaks directly to your ability to gather, process, retain and analyze information...
:mug:

Just remembered... I forgot to respond to this 'command' by his protuberance....

Also, please learn how to use 'quotation' marks.

While if you were my HS grammar teacher, and we were back in the pre-internet dark ages (oh, you were still a toddler then?), that 'COMMAND' would have meaning... In HTML format (That's the hypertext format used on the 'internet, FYI), normal written methods that have traditionally been used to express 'emphasis', such as 'bold' text.. or 'underlined' text now imply a 'hyperlink'....... As such, it's rude, deceptive, and generally considered 'bad internet etiquette' to use either as 'emphasis'....

So, I improvise and use 'apostrophes' to box in text that I want to 'emphasize'..

Apostrophes are designated by a 'single' hash mark, which 'you' in your zeal to discredit another who has dared to call you on the carpet for 'talking shyt without first learning truth', has improperly labeled as 'quotation marks'.. which are in fact actually designated by 'double' hash marks...

Maybe they have changed things since I went to school, but way back then, 'single' marks were called 'apostrophes'.. and 'double' marks were called 'quotations'...

Your criticism of my use of 'quotation marks' is sorta like (actually 'a lot' like) when someone calls someone else 'ignorant' or 'stupid'.. and misspells the derogatory adjective in the process...

It's 'irony' at it's finest!

I'm just sayin' (notice the proper use of the apostrophe...)
:mug:

I'm going to have to go on the minority here and say I don't want to see the regular season expanded. One of the things I like most about football is that with its relatively small amount of games, it's kind of a sprint to the playoffs. I like how it balances out my other favorite sport, baseball, which is definitely classified as a marathon to the post season.

Also, I'm not a big fan of changing the amount of regular season games in any sport based on what another poster already brought up and that is stats and records. Baseball and the pre-steroids home run record is a good example of what I'm talking about.

The last reason is that they will be starting the regular season earlier. If they add the extra games to the end of the season instead of the beginning, that would be fine. I just think footballs should be played in the cold, not a warm summer day. Also, this would help bridge the gap between football season and spring training which would be a bonus.

Ultimately though, if they do expand the season, I'm not going to be too upset about it. I'll get over it and enjoy my two extra Sundays full of football.

Baseball...now there's a sport-season that should be SHORTER. It should end before the NFL/NBA/NHL starts. Shorten the playoffs. No one wants to watch baseball when it's 40 degrees out. Best out of seven? Cripes! Three tops, one and done would be best. No one is watching the baseball playoffs on TV except the fans of the teams in it. It goes in to like the fourth week of football for cripes sake.

Back