The Miallard Reaction and LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
First, excuse me for geeking out. I'm not sure if anyone has ever brought this up before.

I was reading Miallard Reactions 101: Theory. In the second paragraph, the author states:
[Miallard reactions] begin to occur at lower temperatures and at higher dilutions than caramelisation. The rate can increase by 2-3 times for each 10C rise in temperature. However even long term storage of malt extract will Maillard-brown at room temperature.

This was backed up from some other non brewing related literature I read.

Lesson of the story: fresh LME will help you achieve lighter colored beer.

I'm not sure how they get away with it but I read on these pages all the time about vendors who sell old, moldy LME. I guess the lesson is, use a vendor that turns over product fast.

I looked (may have missed) it but the kits that contain LME don't seem to have a 'born on date'. While I could care less what my 'best used by date' on a beer is I'd like to see that on my kits. I just need to go AG and not worry about it :drunk:.

I looked (may have missed) it but the kits that contain LME don't seem to have a 'born on date'. While I could care less what my 'best used by date' on a beer is I'd like to see that on my kits. I just need to go AG and not worry about it :drunk:.
Amen... but then they'd lose sales!

I like your thinking there Mike.... if you want the freshest ingredients, just go AG! Guaranteed to get freshly milled grains for a perfect start to the perfect beer.

Latest posts

Back