The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brazil announce their new goalkeeper.......Yes. Jesus saves!

300px-Christ_the_Redeemer-lge2.jpg
[/IMG]

I had this shirt for the longest time when I was playing competitive/highschool.

CopaJesusSavesTeeGry2013.jpg

First day of the World Cup.
I wake up jazzed.

Then I find out Cesc has signed for Chelski.
Ugh.
Like when your ex girlfriend starts dating the biggest d-bag you know.

Dive by Brazil yesterday, and now Spain gets away with a dive in the box in the first half that results in a successful PK. Sick of that crap. Sick header by Netherlands to get it back.

I think there needs to be a better way to identify dives like that, especially in the box. Maybe the flag / video review by officials, the way that MLB has just introduced.

Well done by the Orange (blue?!?!?!) That was a thumping.

And well done by Mexico to win their first. I want to see all four CONCACAF representatives get to the knock outs.

While watching the matches today I can't help but get way too pumped for the match vs Ghana. Every time they show a commercial or mention the USMNT in commentary I just go "HNNNNNNGGGG HURRY UP!!!" or something of the sort.

... but seriously it needs to hurry up.

Well done by the Orange (blue?!?!?!) That was a thumping.

And well done by Mexico to win their first. I want to see all four CONCACAF representatives get to the knock outs.

While watching the matches today I can't help but get way too pumped for the match vs Ghana. Every time they show a commercial or mention the USMNT in commentary I just go "HNNNNNNGGGG HURRY UP!!!" or something of the sort.

... but seriously it needs to hurry up.

I'm wearing my US jersey all weekend. Woot!

I'm wearing my US jersey all weekend. Woot!

Are you going to wash it or just let the good-luck-funk stick around?

Also, how are people going to be watching the USA matches? At home or at a pub? Specifically a soccer pub?

Are you going to wash it or just let the good-luck-funk stick around?

Also, how are people going to be watching the USA matches? At home or at a pub? Specifically a soccer pub?

No wash. It breathes pretty well, but my stink is like an aged gouda: it grows on you.

I'm at home. I have a house full of soccer fanatics here.

No wash. It breathes pretty well, but my stink is like an aged gouda: it grows on you.

I'm at home. I have a house full of soccer fanatics here.

Nice. I'll be at this tiny British-style pub (no food, just beer and wine) on the river called Ole Bridge Pub. It's the official pub of the (Unofficial) American Outlaws Reno Chapter. We're really close to becoming official and I just love the atmosphere of a pub full of people going nuts for the Yanks.

Looking forward to Italy v England. Mexico did well, although the score didn't reflect how much they controlled the game. I think Dos Santos got robbed on those offsides calls in the first half. I missed Spain and the Netherlands, but I guess I didn't miss much...

Looking forward to Italy v England. Mexico did well, although the score didn't reflect how much they controlled the game. I think Dos Santos got robbed on those offsides calls in the first half. I missed Spain and the Netherlands, but I guess I didn't miss much...

You owe it to yourself to see the RVP header at least (if you haven't).

http://www.espnfc.com/team/spain/164/video/1878442/robin-van-persie-netherlands-goal-header-at-44

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I missed Spain and the Netherlands, but I guess I didn't miss much...

You missed the best team in the tournament (So Far) .. the Dutch totally dominated the Spanish side. Had the Dutch team from yesterday played the Brazil team from Thursday the result might have been much the same .. a multi goal differential in Holland's favor.

I'm going to watch the game, I found out I can stream it from a Canadian website. I just meant that it was clearly a blowout so I won't expect to be biting my nails while watching it.

Can't believe Colombia just took Greece 3-0. They earned it.

For anyone who misses a game or forgets to set the DVR, you can replay the games here. I had to download an extension called "Hola" (they have it for Chrome and Firefox) to get around the regional block.

Well, Engerland fail to impress so I guess they lived up to expectations.

I thought they were really impressive. Last World Cup they parked the bus and tried to counter attack. At least this match they were pressing and creating, they were just unlucky. Their left back was getting burned all the time, which led to Italy's second goal. Italy's experience won out over England's youth but England played well. They should beat Costa Rica and Argentina to take second in the group.

I thought the older players let England down. Gerard was pedestrian, and apart from two good crosses, Rooney was pants.
There is plenty of young talent there for the next WC though.

I thought they were really impressive. Last World Cup they parked the bus and tried to counter attack. At least this match they were pressing and creating, they were just unlucky. Their left back was getting burned all the time, which led to Italy's second goal. Italy's experience won out over England's youth but England played well. They should beat Costa Rica and Argentina to take second in the group.

I'd humbly disagree. With the tools England have to work with they should be doing much better. They put in 60 minutes where it looked like they were going to make something happen and then they just faded out. No closing players down, lackadaisical passing, and probably the worst corner in the history of football. The failure to address Baines getting destroyed down the left was diabolical. At this point I'd say that victories against Costa Rica or Uruguay are hardly forgone conclusions.

Ticos proved they're a tough bunch today getting a win against heavily favored Uruguay. Either England or Uruguay will likely be going home Thursday. Only way one isn't is if they draw.

Rooney didn't have a great game. He had too many opportunities to go scoreless in a game that close. Sterling played well, as did Sturridge until he left the field. England definitely had the upper hand at the beginning of the game, they just had a tough time capitalizing.

Alright today's games are over. Picks for tomorrow???

I liked Japan today. Missed the portion of the game where they lost the lead though.

Latest posts

Back