The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
United lose to the scouse, Arsenal triumph in the NLD, and Bale joins RM for £83.5 million...

Hey Daniel,
I well be in Columbus with a couple kegs. Heading down with 8 guys, 4 of us homebrewers. We went to the Jamaica game last Sept, and it was rad. This one looks to be set to blow it out of the water.

I love Ozil, but I don't think he's the biggest need at Arsenal, I think Ozil is a bigger need for Man U or someone like that. Arsenal's problem is similar to Tottenham, they have great midfielders but their striking situation blows. I think they would have been better trying to gun for a striker.

But at least they'll give Giroud plenty of chances to see what he's made of. But adding a guy like Ozil would have been a better move 2 years ago with RvP up top than it is now.

I'm happy with the Ozil purchase.
Something we lacked last year, & still lack, is the ability to break down a defense when we are dominating possession. I think Ozil will help with that.

Since Ozil typically plays on the right, I'd really like to see Walcott moved to the left, so he can cut in and shoot with his right. I've seen him forced into far too many shots on his weaker left foot. If he can settle in on the left, we can use Cazorla in the middle, where he excels, and move Podolski to the back-up striker position. I don't see him being at the club beyond this season anyway.

Yes, we didn't fill the perceived "needs", but really none of the top clubs did.
Some can argue that Spurs filled their needs, but in my opinion, all they've done is taken a massive risk by signing nearly an entire new squad of players who have no history with AVB, and aren't proven in the Premier League. I think their lack of cohesion really showed in the NLD.

The only thing I really regret from this summer's window is not paying the additional cash that RM were asking for Higuain. That and looking like F-ing morons for the Suarez deal. Might as well have put in a bid for RVP if we wanted to look stupid.

Higuain + Ozil would have been a near perfect window... if I was going to be picky, a defender would have been nice as well.

We still have worries up front as we are pretty much one injury away from either Sanogo or, god forbid, TGSTEL (Bendtner). Perhaps we can sort something in January on that front, but Wenger seems to only do January business when our CL spot is in jeopardy.

At any rate Ozil will improve us no doubt and is a massive coup for us. I know quite a few united fans that were raging about it. We also have picked up Viviano on loan so we have a bit more depth and competition at the keeper spot and Flamini seemed to do a good job on Sunday. Overall I'd say I'm slightly disappointed we didn't get more done this window, but significantly less than I was when we had spent no money.

Hey Daniel,
I well be in Columbus with a couple kegs. Heading down with 8 guys, 4 of us homebrewers. We went to the Jamaica game last Sept, and it was rad. This one looks to be set to blow it out of the water.

Sweet! You going to the night before party or getting in on Tuesday?

I LOVE the Ozil move. We have depth really no where, I mean Rosicy was going to be our starting central attacking mid for a while with the all the injures we have. Now our 3 in the 4-2-3-1 is Santi-Ozil-Theo with Tomas, Ox, and Lukas as backups when healthy. I think if we were going to pick up a starter his was the best position to fill.

I think some people forget just how good Arsenal was after the new year last season. I think we had the most or second most points over the second half. We had 5 clean sheets over the last ten games. We had the second best defensive record at seasons end conceding 6 fewer goals than Man United, Man U just scored 14 more I believe.

Giroud is going to be a 20-25 goal scored and Ozil makes Sanit and Theo that much more dangerous too. Plus I think Viviano could become the #1 GK which would be an upgrade. If we can stay healthy then I think a top 3 finish is not out of the question.

I love Ozil, but I don't think he's the biggest need at Arsenal, I think Ozil is a bigger need for Man U or someone like that. Arsenal's problem is similar to Tottenham, they have great midfielders but their striking situation blows. I think they would have been better trying to gun for a striker.

But at least they'll give Giroud plenty of chances to see what he's made of. But adding a guy like Ozil would have been a better move 2 years ago with RvP up top than it is now.

They tryed for Suarez and failed, World class strikers are hard to find only so many.

Wilshere is a china doll I think it's a great move for the gunners.

How bad was it? I woke up to see a 3-1 score line. I know we have never won down there but 3-1? What happened?

It's not what happened, it's what didn't happen. Specifically, defense. The flanks let Costa Rica do whatever they wanted all game.

Exactly. There was way too much space down the wings, especially the right side. In addition to that we had no midfield presence for most of the first half. The attack consisted of long balls over the top for Donovan to chase.

Just saw the "highlights", two headers, really? Rubbish. Couldn't get a real good picture of how the game was played, but what I saw wasn't inspiring. They do that against Mexico, it's all over but the crying.

Part of me thinks that some of this is due to the team starting to believe the hype behind the streak. I think getting punched in the nose by Costa Rica might get our heads out of the clouds.

Exactly. There was way too much space down the wings, especially the right side. In addition to that we had no midfield presence for most of the first half. The attack consisted of long balls over the top for Donovan to chase.

I really hope if we're fully healthy we move Fabian to left back and put Cherundolo at RB.

Midfield will be full with Dempsey, Donovan and Zusi rather have Zusi at RM than Beasley at LB.

Also why is no one mentioning Mexico. Oh Mexico!!! I hope we beat them and keep them down in 4th

Part of me thinks that some of this is due to the team starting to believe the hype behind the streak. I think getting punched in the nose by Costa Rica might get our heads out of the clouds.

This.

Let's hope they can make something happen without Besler, Cameron, and possibly Bradley.

USMNT UPDATE:

Gone - Besler, Bradley, Cameron, Altidore

Called Up - Joe Corona, Brad Davis, Clarence Goodson, Jose Torres

My prediction for the match against Mexico:

--------------Howard---------------
-Orozco--Goodson--Gonzo--Beasley-
----------Cameron------------------
----------------Jones--------------
-Zusi-------------------------Davis-
-------------Dempsey--------------
---------------Donovan------------

My prediction for the match against Mexico:

--------------Howard---------------
-Orozco--Goodson--Gonzo--Beasley-
----------Cameron------------------
----------------Jones--------------
-Zusi-------------------------Davis-
-------------Dempsey--------------
---------------Donovan------------

I thought Geoff Cameron was on a yellow card suspension?
I would swap Donovan & Dempsey.

I thought Geoff Cameron was on a yellow card suspension?
I would swap Donovan & Dempsey.

Cameron, Besler, and Altidore were all yellow cards. Shame Bradley is hurt. For me the lineup almost has to be

RB - Evans (can't start the same fullbacks who got abused by Costa Rica)
CB - Goodson
CB - Gonzalez
LB - Beasley (would replace him if Jozy wasn't suspended)
CDM - Jones
CDM - Diserkud (though we'll be weak on the defensive portion with this pairing, he's our best central option JMO)
RM - Zusi
CAM - Donovan
LM - Johnson
ST - Dempsey

Cameron, Besler, and Altidore were all yellow cards. Shame Bradley is hurt. For me the lineup almost has to be

RB - Evans (can't start the same fullbacks who got abused by Costa Rica)
CB - Goodson
CB - Gonzalez
LB - Beasley (would replace him if Jozy wasn't suspended)
CDM - Jones
CDM - Diserkud (though we'll be weak on the defensive portion with this pairing, he's our best central option JMO)
RM - Zusi
CAM - Donovan
LM - Johnson
ST - Dempsey

Evans isn't with the team, he picked up an injury and was ruled out a few days before CR. Parkhurst seems likely at RB.

I don't think we should go with LD and dempsey as the central attackers again. LD and Dempsey are both good as support strikers/attacking mid, but I think we need EJ or Johannson in there.

Finally a good video has surfaced showing Campbell's dive that caused Besler's yellow card.
Pretty disgraceful. See 5:40.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qjDaW3VXjnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow.......... after a review of that Campbell should be fined, and actually so should the referee.

Evans isn't with the team, he picked up an injury and was ruled out a few days before CR. Parkhurst seems likely at RB.

I don't think we should go with LD and dempsey as the central attackers again. LD and Dempsey are both good as support strikers/attacking mid, but I think we need EJ or Johannson in there.

I would like the lineup to slide Johnson back to full back and have one of those 1 striking but I cannot imagine that happening

Sorry about the mistake with Cameron. I'm pushing 6 months straight out of town for work in a tiny bullsh*t town, living in a crap hotel. I can actual feel my mind becoming duller.

I'd say instead make Jones the holding middie and have Mix play more forward.

And why switch Donovan and Dempsey? I have just two things to say about that:

1) Dempsey is the classic second striker
2) Have you even seen how nuts LD has been playing for club and country at the forward position the last few months?

I would like the lineup to slide Johnson back to full back and have one of those 1 striking but I cannot imagine that happening

I agree on both counts. It seems Jurgen is quite set on FJ at left wing, and I don't disagree that he is a better left wing than a left back. But IMO, our needs at left back are greater than left wing, and we have better alternatives on the wing than at fullback.

I think if I had my way it would be landon on the left wing with fabian at fullback. Landon would tuck inside allowing overlapping runs from fabian. Right side would have the fullback, probably parkhurst, staying deeper and relying more on crosses from zusi to be the offensive plan. Probably EJ and clint up top.

When the team is fully healthy I'm sure Johnson will go to full back since I don't think Klinsmann will bench Zusi. Only other it could switch is if Jones struggles is sliding him to the bench, and Zusi to central. But I can't see that happening.

But can't clinch even the 4 spot until the final game.

That's the funny part of this outcome, but I think they'll take the shot at the 3 instead of easier qualification for the 4, they need a little help from Costa Rica and the US to beat (not draw) Honduras and Panama then they need to just score a ton of goals to up their GD. I don't want Mexico to not qualify, though it would be hilarious, it would make for a less interesting World Cup.

I want Mexico to not qualify. I find their qualification nightmare hilarious and them staying home for the WC would be the cherry on top of an already delicious cake of Mexico failure.

Back