The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot my login info for the fantasy league. I click the appropriate thingy for them to email my password, but the damned email never arrives!! I officially give up on it. :(

The site has been completely wrecked this week. They did a whole update over the summer, and the launch has not gone well. I'd put money on them having broken the password recovery system too.

Hmmm I have that email, but still can't log on and their password email doesn't arrive. Are there any plans to reset our league to start on week 2?

The Fire with an MLS record 15th draw of the season.

Nothing like supporting 2 teams who can't close out a game to save their lives...

Yeah, it wouldn't be right. I'll just give up on this season.:mug:

Why do that? I'm sure it is a long season I am fairly certain we are all going to have good and bad weeks.

I could care less if we drop week one, it will be a miracle if I win anyway. I would rather have more people playing.

In other news (That interests nobody except myself) My lot, Southampton, have just won their 11th competitive game on the trot, and for the first time in their 126 year history won the first four games of the season! (Crap record, but hey, it's still a record!) I just had to post this before it all goes tits up on me. :D

How 'bout Chicago breaking that winless streak?

Bout damn time!!

I got a phone call I had to take at halftime and figured when I went to read the box score after the game that they would have blown the lead. Hopefully they can kick on from this and finish the season strong.

Fun Fire Facts:

1. First home win since the opening game this season

2. Holders of the MLS record for most draws in a season

3. Yet, with two more wins, they could be your 2011 US Open Cup Champeeeens

What a strange year . . .

Fun Fire Facts:

1. First home win since the opening game this season

2. Holders of the MLS record for most draws in a season

3. Yet, with two more wins, they could be your 2011 US Open Cup Champeeeens

What a strange year . . .

Strange indeed. Let's not forget:

- Portland making a big run late-season... they may be in playoff contention if they keep in form

- DC... holy s**t talk about turnaround. From being last place 80% of the last season to knocking on the wildcard door? Daaaaaang

- Dear NYRB: Get your heads out of your asses. You're too talented and experiences for this performance, and that includes you Backe. Managers are not excluded here

- Sporting... I can't believe they're sitting #2 in the East

- Both Columbus and Houston are in actual playoff slots... weird.

But, as per usual, the Western leader (LA :D) is 11 points ahead of #1 in the East. Also, #4 in the West is ahead of #1 in the East.

- Both Columbus and Houston are in actual playoff slots... weird.
That's only weird because the Crew blew up their roster in the offseason. Historically, they've been a pretty strong team with an exception for a few years in the middle of the Aughts. Only DCU has won more Supporters' Shields. Only LA and DCU have won more major trophies.

MLSsoccer has been doing this neato thing called North American Soccer Almanac recently. I especially like the before-and-after kits. I always forget how incredibly tacky the 1996 kits were.... especially LA *hides face* But I noticed that Alexi Lalas is in three of the old images... odd.

Also, NYRB: the only non-expansion to team to win ZERO cups.
infographic_MLSCUP_v5.gif

(in tune to "London Bridge is Falling Down")
Red Bull's only sold in cans, sold in cans, sold in cans. Red Bull's only sold in cans 'cuz they have no cups.

(in tune to "London Bridge is Falling Down")
Red Bull's only sold in cans, sold in cans, sold in cans. Red Bull's only sold in cans 'cuz they have no cups.

It is really to bad we don't play them at home again this year because Portland could rock that for the Red Bull's. :ban::rockin::ban::rockin:

It is really to bad we don't play them at home again this year because Portland could rock that for the Red Bull's. :ban::rockin::ban::rockin:

It would be pretty bad ass to hear Timbers Army sing that.

But then again the Tetris song is fracking awesome enough :rockin:

But then again the Tetris song is fracking awesome enough :rockin:

That's a pretty good cheer. Which means at least half of the other MLS clubs will "borrow" it. The Nordecke were the first MLS club to use "We Luv Ya" (and are still the best at it, IMO), which I hear on nearly every TV broadcast now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We have taken it up a notch lately, now we go in motion.

http://vimeo.com/27179306

We had a great chat going for Vancouver on Saturday. Basically stating when we beat you don't burn our town down.

HAHA! Awesome.

And yeah, seeing TA shuffle as a whole like that is awesome. I mean, in LA with the Angel City Brigade we do the same for a few songs.... but our supporters section isn't nearly that massive. But we like to make up for it by being crazy loud and roudy.

We have taken it up a notch lately, now we go in motion.

http://vimeo.com/27179306
Very nice. Good sound, too. You guys have been a great addition to the league, tho I want Brunner back.

This video is long, but it remains to this day one of the greatest game atmospheres I've ever experienced. The 2008 Eastern Conference Final, between Columbus and the F*re (with ex-Crew legend McBride featuring in their attack).

Some highlights: @3:30, there is a Crew free kick that results in some real pandemonium. It's just over a 2 minute long segment, so stick with it. @7:00, you can pick up the "We Love Ya" chant.

As someone who's been intimately involved in the supporters' culture since 1995 (I founded the original Crew supporters group, with a few other folks), it's gratifying to see the beast grow. There's been some ups and downs, but we've come a long way. I see what's happening in the Pacific Northwest as a vindication of all of the hard work we've all been doing supporting the league over all these years. I'm a little jealous, sure - I wish Crew games looked like what Qwest or Jeld-Wen looked like all the time (and not just for big matches), but I honestly believe that the newer clubs have benefited a lot from having a stable MLS with a modest but respectable supporters culture to enter into and build upon.

I'm also enjoying the growing diversity in the support in each city. For a long time, we've been much more similar than not (with perhaps the notable exceptions of Chicago, with their large Polish influence on their supporters culture, and Chivas), but as the league is growing and maturing we're seeing less copying of successful stuff from other MLS supporters, and the supporters for each team are starting to grow their own distinct cultures. It's pretty neat to see.

I think Columbus' football culture is an interesting blend of German and Hispanic influences, which a heavy pinch of vaguely blue-collar "alt" (lots of tattoos and piercings - and beards).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very happy to see the amount of fan support that MLS teams are getting these days. Its nice to see the league finally taking hold. I use to go to the Sounders games before we joined the MLS. They would use two, maybe three sections of Qwest and that was considered a good showing. Its impressive to see the thousands of people now routinely showing up to any old game. Portland has done a great job of it too.

Did anybody watch the WPS (Women's Professional Soccer) final today? Just ended on a thrilling note. Especially exciting for me being a keeper.

And I don't feel ashamed to talk about women's soccer. It's the only women's sport actually worth watching as a sport. Not just checking out some hotties like in volleyball, lingerie football, mud wrestling, etc. Oh, also, orgasm grunts in tennis.

K, what was I talking about?

Oh yeah, WPS is actually really good. You should start watching next season.

Also, attendance is on the rise. Notice on the first graph that attendance has been increasing since Commish Garber gave Miamia and Tampa Bay the boot.

infographic_fans.gif

Interesting that it dipped so much from 99 - 02. I was watching the Sounders game last night via their websites live stream and was happy to see the hordes of people that showed up at Star-Fire Stadium which is their practice field to watch the FC Dallas vs. Seattle US Open Cup semi-final. Awesome turnout.

Anybody following the transfer window? I'm still hoping Jones and Dempsey can get moves in. Dempsey to Arsenal would be awesome.

Anybody following the transfer window? I'm still hoping Jones and Dempsey can get moves in. Dempsey to Arsenal would be awesome.

Dempsey to the Gunners looks to be more than rumors. I have a feeling it will happen.

Also, word is Klinnsy is giving Dempsey the skipper armband for the upcoming FIFA dates.

Time to get this back to the top.

Fantasy league, Dilligaf where did you come from? I was enjoying the view from the front until you showed up.

And TIMBERS try to keep their playoff hopes alive tonight.

If I saw the Portland/New England match-up a few weeks ago I'd say Timbers have this one 100%... however, somehow the Revs magically found out how to get results so this could be an interesting one.

Either way, I love watching matches that are held at JELD-WEN

If I saw the Portland/New England match-up a few weeks ago I'd say Timbers have this one 100%... however, somehow the Revs magically found out how to get results so this could be an interesting one.

Either way, I love watching matches that are held at JELD-WEN

Should be a crazy night, we haven't had a home game in a while and I am sure the crowd will be rowdier then usual.

Not sure how much longer it will be Jeld-Wen sounds like they are having a bit of $$$ trouble. :drunk:

I see we are on Fox Soccer, I will try get a front row seat so you can see my ugly mug. :rockin:

At first I thought you meant that the stadium was having money trouble and wasn't going to last.... I was all "WHAAAAAA?!" but then I realized you just meant the sponsor :D

Back