The hopefully not obnoxious wood fired brick oven build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got another row on today and worked on the flue opening. A mason might shudder at my work but I'm ok with how it's coming.

Looking in from the outside...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408401565.283035.jpg

Looking down the flue. I need to put one last course with an arch then the 8 x 8 flue sits in the opening.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408401606.965673.jpg

Wow. That is a sheetload of work. Is there going to be a chimney, or is it a solid dome, and does the smoke come out the front hole?

I imagine that the dome makes much more efficient heat, but I'd never have the patience to build something like that - maybe a square oven, but f all those cuts!

I could see me starting something like that, and getting half way through, before loosing all interest. Years later, I'd be pointing at the pizza mausoleum memorial in the back yard....

Paul is doing an excellent job for a first time oven. However for most I recommend a kit from Superior Clay in Ohio. They are not cheap but once you factor in the time and the materials they can be well worth it. Many tell me brewing is too much work and just buy my beer but one man's hobby is another man's drudgery. I grew up in the brick industry so I know how much work he is putting in on this.

Superior Clay Masonry Oven

Mark

Paul is doing an excellent job for a first time oven. However for most I recommend a kit from Superior Clay in Ohio. They are not cheap but once you factor in the time and the materials they can be well worth it. Many tell me brewing is too much work and just buy my beer but one man's hobby is another man's drudgery. I grew up in the brick industry so I know how much work he is putting in on this.

Superior Clay Masonry Oven

Mark

Now i want one.

You should be careful what you ask for, sometimes people go looking and you never know what they are going to find.

These appear to be you 'putting your own spin' on drinking beer from a glass...

Jeezuz, you're carrying a knife? Yeager needs to childproof the house....

And this next one is my favorite...

"I told SWMBO that I was going to Home Depot to get an Air Conditioner. It's February!!!! She won't suspect a thing!!!! When I get home in a few more hours I'll tell her that they were all out but said they are expecting a new shipment in any minute and I decided to wait around..."

(muffled voice from Capes pocket... "Hey Moron, you butt dialed me four hours ago. My girlfriends and I have been listening to you arseholes since two o'clock this afternoon...")

"Hey guys, I gotta get going home..."

Yup, you're right. I LOVE looking at pics of brew days gone by. Good times, good times.

Oh my Fvcking god, Cape wears a beret.

I think its really cool when people don't care about what stuff looks like. Is it functional, no...but it looks ****ty. Only kidding, it is cool that you are letting your kid build the oven for you.

I'm developing a problem in the transition from the dome to the opening that I'm unsure of how to fix. The dome is getting out of round, more teardrop-ish as it gets to the transition.

I'm not sure what is causing it but it is making the courses drop down on the arch. There is a significant drop back to front. I'm sure I can fix it once I get above the arch, if I need to I can cut bricks into wider widths and gain back the drop but I'd really rather avoid that. Somebody hold my hand and sing Kumbaya.

I'm developing a problem in the transition from the dome to the opening that I'm unsure of how to fix. The dome is getting out of round, more teardrop-ish as it gets to the transition.

I'm not sure what is causing it

Uh, the whole thing isn't level and you aren't measuring your bricks before you cut them and you wonder what's wrong?

I had the same problem when I built mine, though it was pretty minor, but I'm not sure why. I suspect it may have been caused when I had to lay two bricks in a straight line on each side of the arch to tie it together. Once I cleared the arch it pretty much fixed itself.
Are you using a guide to maintain the shape?(indispensable tool)

Oven Build 144 (Small).jpg

Oven Build 148 (Small).jpg

Oven Build 149 (Small).jpg

Back