The head in the Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiz54

Reaction score
6 days later and my pale ale brew still has a head in the fermenter. I used a yeast starter and boy it started showing healthy signs of fermentation in 4 hours!!! Still I was wondering if having a healthy head for 6 days is normal. Should I rack to the secondary like I normally do on or around day 8? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Just leave it alone until it drops and completely stops fermenting, even if it means 2 weeks or longer.

Don't impose YOUR timeframe on beer brewing...It's not your timeframe it's the yeasties...they're in charge..Believe it or not your only job is putting together a clean factory well stocked with materials, which you did...

When you deal with living microorganisms, you surrender to their timeframe, regardless of what any instructions, or any impatience/excitement might dictate..

A lot of us pitch yeast and come back a month later to bottle or keg, letting the little buggers have plenty of time to not only work but to clean up after they're done.

This isn't making coolaid, it is a game of patience.

If you still have krauzen then LEAVE IT ALONE!!! It's still fermenting

At the minimum we recommend that if you do plan on secondary, that you wait til 10-14 days after you pitched your yeast (and when the hydrometer reading for three consequetive days is constant.)

But like I said many of us leave the beer alone for 3-4 (use the search for long primary yeast clean up themselves or no secondary for explanations why.)

But until then...

Stepaway_copy.jpg

:mug:

LOL thanks and I will leave it alone. Just seemed like a long time to have that head on the fermentation considering how strong it had started, but you are right yeast is unpredictable.

Back