The Great Hop Give-a-way!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tootal

Reaction score
If you're in the St. Louis area, or planning to be, we are hosting the 4th annual Great Hop Give-a-way at the Anheuser Busch Tour Center, on the 2nd Floor, in the Bud Cafe.
This will be on Saturday December 14th from 1pm to 4pm.
Please bring you own bags.
This year will be featuring 2011 whole cone Hallertau hops from our Elk Mountain hop farm in Bonners Ferry, Idaho.
They have been stored at freezing temps until a few weeks ago and are now in the basement of our hop house at 40 degrees.
While there you can take a free tour or have a beer in the bier garten featuring more than just the beers brewed in St. Louis!

Cheers! :mug:

I just got word that these domestic Hallertau hops are 8 percent Alpha Acid for those that usually want to know, like everybody!

I received some more info on these hops. They have been stored at -4 F. at our "polarville" storage facility. We received them 2 months ago and as mentioned, they have been at 40 degrees. Looking forward to seeing all the fellow home brewers!
Cheers!:mug:

Well we had a couple hundred folks show up for free hops. I wanted to thank those that made it through the snow and ice to get there. For those that brought a little home brew to taste we appreciated it! Hopefully we'll see you next year!
:mug:

I can't answer that one. I just work in Resident Engineering and I'm not privey to that information. If they use Idaho Hallertau's in that beer then I'd say it's a good chance they are the same.

Ok i just said that because per the info on the beer "Ten Hills traces its story to Elk Mountain Farms in Idaho, famous for growing hops of exceptional quality and character. With hops from the "first ten hills" grown for Goose Island at Elk Mountain, we crafted a pale ale that delivers both a herbal and citrus hop character. We hope you'll find the intriguing balance of flavors in this beer to be truly unparalleled. - See more at: http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/ten_hills/364.php#sthash.TmE2FFeg.dpuf" But I don't see Hallertau'. I only see Perle, Cascade, US Saaz

Elk Mountain is where our hops came from but they do produce more than Hallertau there. I would think in that style of Goose Island beer they wouldn't use Hallertau since it's an APA which usually uses very grapefruity type Northwestern hop varieties. In the case of the GI beer they mention herbal and citrus. The US Saaz would be the herbal part and the other two providing the citrus. The Hallertau would be more suited to any pilsner style. We do have a brewery in St. Louis which makes a Bavarian IPA using all Bavarian Hallertau hops. It's a wonderful beer! You just need a lot of hops when using the lower AA styles.

What do they sell that beer under? I live in st louis county and I have never seen that. I would be interested in trying it.

It's made by Urban Chestnut. Two of the owners are ex AB employees. It's called Hopfen and they don't bottle it, you must go to the brewery on Washington Blvd.

Ask and you will receive.

Attention All Home Brewers:

Come join us for the 2014 Great Hop Give-Away this Saturday December 6th. This year’s Hop Give Away will feature 2013 whole cone Cascade hops from our farm in Bonner’s Ferry Idaho. Bring a bag and some home brew to share.

Here are the details:

When: Saturday Dec 6th 1:00pm – 4:00 p.m.
Where: Anheuser-Busch Tour Center / AB Biergarten
What: Free Cascade whole cone hops (AA 7.7%), brewery tours, gift shop

Hope to see you all next Saturday. Cheers!

Thanks for the quick reply. I missed it last year and hope to make a run over that way for this years give away, unfortunately that's our clubs xmas party day. Maybe next year

Thanks for putting that out there Craig. I've been a bit busy and haven't been on this site for a while. We will be in the Biergarten this year and it's enclosed in the Winter so no worries about the weather. Hope we get a good turn out, we have a lot of hops!

Well we had a great turn out and thanks to those who brought some beers to sample, that's always appreciated. Hope everybody got a sample of the Faust beer. They made this earlier this year for an anniversary and it was so popular they ran out so they made a second batch!
It was good to see everyone and hopefully we'll have more to give a way next year.
Until then,
Cheers!:mug:

Back