The Electric Brewery on the Brewing Network Next Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTabb

Reaction score
Just heard Kal from The Electric Brewery will be on The Brewing Network's The Session next Sunday. Should be an awesome interview.

Interview went great! I'd like to personally say thank you for all the great information you've put out there for homebrewers. As you can see, I've taken alot of your information and put it to good use!

DSC01350.jpg

I think the interview went really well. It's evident that you put in a lot of hours documenting the process. I think more and more brewers are looking to get into electric brew systems and you site is going to end up being one of the best starting places.

Thanks

I am in awe after listening to the show and viewing the gallery. Wow, what an awesome set up. I just have a simple set up, cooler Mash Tun, 10G pot on the stove, temp control. Just wiring up the temp controllers proved to be challenging (though I did it) so I'm not sure I'm competent enough to take on a project like making an electric brewery. Maybe when I hit mid life crisis.... I'll keep that feather in my hat. Some guys buy cars... others build electric breweries!

I'm definitely interested in electric brewing, to move my AG back indoors to the basement, get away from using propane. Setting up one or more kettles with electric elements seems straightforward enough. However, everything I've seen in the way of controls is quite a bit more than I'm prepared to spend, given the amount that I brew. The Electric Brewery is the best thing I've seen, but very difficult to justify even that, plus the cost of the rest of it, when brewing <100 gal. a year.

The Electric Brewery is the best thing I've seen, but very difficult to justify even that, plus the cost of the rest of it, when brewing <100 gal. a year.
I brew about 100 gallons a year, usually less. For many people (including me) it's about the hobby/craft of brewing beer, not about saving money. For others, home brewing is about saving money. Nothing wrong with that.

The ironic part is that I've spoken to a lot of brewers that over the last 10-20 years have spent considerably more upgrading their systems over time than I spent the one time I built and designed my electric brewery. I haven't upgraded it in 2+ years now and never plan on changing it. I'm extremely happy with it and have zero issues. There's nothing I'd change even if it was free.

For some reason spending $5K once on a setup that you're going to use for the rest of your life (30+ years) seems crazy but spending $300-400/year on new gadgets or upgrades that never quite work out right seems fine. It's odd.

Kal

Back