The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the weather...and the matchup....this game will be best watched from the comfort of a warm home...and where it can be turned off early ;)

as of now, 7-3 Pats, and a good stop on defense - sack, incomplete, and one of the patented toss to the scrimmage line on 3rd and long... I still don't get those plays.
|I';m expecting things to turn around (the wrong way, for Pats fans) in the second half for sure.
Of course, I'm torn here, since I do have Brady on my fantasy team...But as of right now my opponent is done, I still have Carr (QB) playing tomorrow. I'm down 15 points now, so if Brady can get a few more, I can pretty much count on Carr to pick me up.

Drove to Brookline yesterday, daughter's birthday, same day as wife's, had a nice visit. I don't remember the T being so damned quiet. Back when the wife lived in Brighton and Brookline, the screech of the T would wake the dead. Anyway, thought about all you eastern dwelling mooks as I drove back west in the rain last night. My early xmas gift to y'all.

OK, The Hell with the feelz good crap.

WTF is going on over there??!!

https://fallriverreporter.com/tikto...sachusetts-could-be-most-dangerous-one-yet-1/"...another new TikTok challenge has hit Massachusetts ...The challenge consists of loosening lug nuts on a vehicle, seeing what happens, and posting it on TikTok for likes... In addition to the lug nut challenge, TikTok has seen dangerous challenges such as the black out challenge, the fire challenge,, the Benadryl challenge, and the devious lick challenge. "

Someone over there needs to bust some heads.

Well, it is a sure way to sort out the really stupid ones.

They post themselves commiting a crime? ,,, if someone dies or gets injured, or even property damage,... Anyway, hope none of the victims get hurt...the perps,,,they are on their own.

I'm sorry, but the Sullivan clan ran themselves out of professional sports forever. Which is fine.
Henry may be the epitome of a disconnected elitist but he brought us their first championship in like forfrickenevah and a few more to boot :)

OK, you asked;

I don't know, ...unless you want to hear about what a pain it is to run a small business...year after year:

Ok; one of my trucks had starter failure on job early this week, got it home, put in new starter, and new (imported) (from you know where) starter failed (faulty solenoid) on my crew that was in the chappy ferry line, near end of day.

Almost got in truck w another maybe working starter, another solenoid, (remember, these are ex military, 24V, which don't grow on trees) & tools.

Then I remembered I was a grown up, and called the towing company. Their ramp truck can only get on & off chappy at high tide, so I had to wait until next day to get truck back. $236 plus driver tip well spent.

In other news, I'm enjoying the latest ale I just tapped into, and me & my gal had a nice sausage & veggie bake off, cooking in glass, in vintage corning ware. Almost always works out great.

Yea, I work for myself as well, but it’s not the only income stream fortunately. So yesterday when all my clients canceled it wasn’t stressful. I cannot recall a day in the past where all clients happened to cancel.

Vehicle trouble… I had that exactly a week ago. Distracted mommy rolled through a stop sign and didn’t look, or I unknowingly had my Klingon cloaking device in the on position. Both passenger side doors were smashed, and at the time of the low speed crash no one reported injuries. I drove my smashed sedan home about a mile and a half and covered the busted window and tops of doors that no longer sealed with a tarp and duct tape before it rained with some help from hubby. The rental car I’m using is pretty nice and the sonar is a nice safety addition… it lets one know when idiots are hanging in the blind spots.

Today, one of the LI HBCs held a Stein Brew. Fun time, good food, mostly good beverages, great people and a fire to keep warm.

Got to wonder about the car "sonar",... a late model suberu my gal just got from a deceased relative would not let her back out off shop slab, on account of a small branch the car could easily run over w no damage.

I get it, with the commercial with the "auto drive" saving the spaced out mom from backing over the neighbor's kid on a big wheel or whatever. Makes every one feel good, and rightly so.

However, how many times someone could not get out of sticky road situation, branch on road in snow etc, let alone an aggressor able to attack because car's "safety features" stopped the escape?

I know those options can be turned off, but could you do it when there was a fire or something near car? the stress and all.

Drove my 85 300D merced today, no chips or "brake by wire" there. ,, yes if your car has auto braking of any kind, then you have a few circuits between your brake pedal and you stopping. Brake by wire via a small number of molecules of silica on a chip. But that is OK, 'cause everything always works, right?

Last edited:
This model uses sounds and lights to warn, but it doesn’t brake or correct… at least that I’m aware of. And, yeah if it doesn’t know the difference between a toddler and stick it’s really not very helpful.

Got to wonder about the car "sonar",... a late model suberu my gal just got from a deceased relative would not let her back out off shop slab, on account of a small branch the car could easily run over w no damage.[...]

Hah! I know that move: my Durango beast has forward and reverse collision prevention and the first time I drove it down to NYC to visit a friend I had to turn off the feature to back up into his driveway because there was a ~2" curb cut to climb over first :D

But, on the upside, that same feature has kept me from stupidly boinking stuff left in our driveway behind the truck (like, lawn tractor, weed wacker, one of the kids cars, etc) so I like it :)

Cheers!

I get it, ...but does it not concern you that even the braking in your vehicle could potentially be hacked? Yes it is nice to abdicate responsibility for ones driving actions, but at what price in sovereignty and control?

I was talking to a client, possibly a contemporary of yours, age wise & still high up in 'puter world. He told me the current theoretical limitation of micro chip density is one molecule of silicon, and they are currently making them at 8-10. Anyway, I digress..

Looks like we are in for a nice nor'easter. Maybe wash the sidewalks off, so to speak...

I don't worry about someone hacking any of my vehicles because I very much doubt I'm interesting enough as a target.

5rtfw5.jpg

And, yes, tomorrow and especially at night we're gonna be facing the boomtown beast of a storm.
I only worry about the wind taking out power, we're on high ground so rain never bothers us here...

Cheers!

Well there are hackers that just like to cause chaos. Utilities, online transactions, power grid, air traffic....

I worked on autonomous vehicle's sensors a couple of years ago. Took part in MIT research, lectures and surveys. Surprised this is still up:

https://www.moralmachine.net/
MIT published an article on autonomous vehicles and ethics about 5 years ago. They gathered public feedback on algorithm decisions. Like if the car had to make a decision of killing an old lady or five kittens, who eats fender? An old guy or a young guy? Who gets it?

The results of these polls were entered into today's used algorithms.

I liken it to air travel. It saves thousands of people by getting them off the road. Say a 1000 die in air travel compared to 100000 in auto. An air tragedy is horrible but less than what happens on the road. I sum it as the cost of doing business. People die.

One of the first fatalities was an influencer that altho his Tesla was not fully autonomous, decided to watch Harry Potter on the way to his decapitation. Wouldn't want that on my headstone.

I'm actually shocked that autonomous parking has gone so smoothly. I'd expect a lot of hucksters would be rolling out of the driver's side seat and trying to get under the car to sue.

Yeah, I'm not so worried about attacks targeted at a individual, though it could happen. If some bad actor found a way to make all vehicles w a certain software suit lock up there brakes w a keystroke, do you think they wouldn't?

Fun for some, others would ransom car/software companies, others, eg state actors, would love to see a bunch of pile ups on US road systems.

They recorded a 94MPH gust on island early this morning. We lost power around midnight, I count three major limbs down in my yard, and I have not even looked into the woods part, where one would be foolish to walk in this wind, lots of old trees. They say there are 11,000 customers out on MV alone. Parts of Cape a mess too.

Turned on the MEP-802a about half an hour ago, nothing else to do anyway, and have a few freezers full of food & want a shower.

Kinda funny, had two of my generators out on slab as I was working on them earlier this month, so am good to go. But have to admit, I did not think I'd be using them for this storm.

We definitely got lucky here, the only hint the storm was bearing on the electric supply was a short series of blinks around 7pm that didn't even cause anything to reboot. Otherwise, it clearly was a good year for leaves as my property is buried under 6 inches of them now. No trees or even decent sized branches down. I think Ma Nature had already pruned our trees multiple times since the last good storm...

Cheers!

I missed the whole thing, had driven down to NJ for a family funeral the day before. Got home after dark last night to find my flag pole down, one of my cherry trees down and no power. Couldn't manage to get the generator running in the dark, that's today's project.

Remind me why don't we live in the US Virgin Islands again?

On the lighter side, my BIL sends this joke

Imaging if Americans switched from pounds to kilograms overnight.

There'd be mass confusion.

To which someone punnily replies

Wouldn't there be confusion in other states as well?

On the lighter side, my BIL sends this joke

Imaging if Americans switched from pounds to kilograms overnight.

There'd be mass confusion.

To which someone punnily replies

Wouldn't there be confusion in other states as well?
There's a physics joke there someplace about volume, or maybe energy and velocity.

Back