Best Bitter The Dragon's Gold Best/Premium Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangegreenman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale
Yeast Starter
1 \\"Smack Pack\\"
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 minutes
IBU
Color
7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 65-70*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Nutty malt, caramel, & toast balanced with bitter, green, herbal & blackcurrant hops.
This was a fun little experiment I did to play with Brewer's Gold hops. Maybe they were from the U.S., maybe from the U.K. Either way, they are never discussed for use as an aroma hop, but they produced this herbal and somewhat minty, "green herbal" tasting, faintly blackcurrant-scented Bitter. Wyeast 1469 on top of MO and caramel malts made a nutty, fairly complex malt backbone for the hops to work on. I was happily surprised that my goofy little "why not" Bitter tasted just right to me to use as a table beer. The fermentation was long, but not out of necessity; I just didn't get around to bottling it quickly.

I like that no grapefruit or citrus aromas ended up in this, since so many beers have those flavors in spades. I want to try brewing this again with Bramling Cross or Bullion hops in hope of a stronger blackcurrant aroma.

Malt Bill
70% efficiency, 270GU

45% 4lb 13oz Munton's Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
45% 4lb 13oz Briess 2-row Brewer's Malt
~5% 9oz Briess Caramel Malt 20L
~5% 9oz Briess Caramel Malt 40L
~1% 2-4oz torrified wheat or your favorite head-retention grain (Optional. I may use up to 12oz of torrified wheat for more flavor next time.)

Mash these grains at 150°F-152°F until conversion is complete.

Hop Bill (anything under an ounce is guesswork for me, since I have no scale at home. RDWHAHB.)

Boil Gravity: approx. 1.057.
Hop addition: ~0.80-0.85oz Brewer’s Gold 9.9% at -60min in 4.5-4.75gal boil.
Flavor Addition: ~0.15-0.2oz Brewer's Gold 9.9% at -20min.
Aroma Hops: ~0.5oz Brewer's Gold 9.9% at -5min.
~0.5oz Brewer's Gold 9.9% at flame-out.

Carbonate gently with 0.5 cups dextrose to five gallons. It was ready by 4 days in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back