The cider thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Entire recipe was a half gallon of fresh- pressed cider from the Sierra foothills. Add yeast. Leave alone for two months. Bottle. Enjoy!

Any idea what type of apples? Our Whole Foods has honeycrisp cider and I was thinking of trying that.

levifunk tried a bunch of brett strains in cider. There's a big thread on it over on HBT.
Yea, brett ciders are legit. As with degardebrewing, i'll be looking into getting a winery license to make them again. You can read all about the fermentation panel I did with different brett strains on my blog. If you go to HBT, you'll want to read teh Wild Brewers thread, not the Cider thread. The cider guys didn't even think brett could ferment cider :facepalm:

I did two 3gal batches of cider, one with an English Dry cider strain and the other with WLP565. I much preferred the English Dry cider strain. WLP565 wasn't as sharp and in fact kinda muddled the flavor. It was an interesting test and I want to try again and see if I can get the yeast to clean up a little bit more/ impart some of it's characteristic flavor

Can you add dried orange or tangerine peel to a dry cider (during fermentation) to add a little sweetness/flavor?

Yea, brett ciders are legit. As with degardebrewing, i'll be looking into getting a winery license to make them again. You can read all about the fermentation panel I did with different brett strains on my blog. If you go to HBT, you'll want to read teh Wild Brewers thread, not the Cider thread. The cider guys didn't even think brett could ferment cider :facepalm:

Virtue makes Percheron which is a brett fermented cider, I also happen to have a 1/6 barrel of the 2013 that I will bring up with me next time we come up to Madison...

Just had my first cider experience and made a grapefruit ginger cider. Added amarillo hops to store bought apple cider and am planning to add fresh ginger tea once fermentation is done. Would really like to experiment with some of the stuff mentioned in this thread though. Especially with some sort of awesome saison yeast.

This has the potential to be either a total dump or something interesting. I hope for the latter, but either way it's interesting.

Last year I bought 5 gallons of cider from a farm/orchard, tossed in some ale yeast and energizer and let it sit... and sit... and sit...

For a year. Didn't touch it for a legit 52 weeks. Did that first because other things seemed to take up my time to prevent me from racking it into secondary. Then it gave way to general laziness. That turned into a genuine curiosity of what it would be like. I figured if I kept an open mind, either way I'd be okay.

Racked it to a secondary on Sunday but pulled some to try. Was very dry and a bit bready. Added some fresh to sweeten it, put the top on and the airlock and have it sitting in a dark closet to continue getting happy. I figure I'll check it in two weeks to see how it's doing.

so I want to do some lazy experimenting with cider...

can I just get fresh pressed cider and pitch yeast?

I have had unpasteurized cider ferment in my fridge at fridge temperatures before... pretty delicious tbh
This works - if you want funkier flavors keeping the cider itself between 60F and 72F is the way to go. You'll still get lots of pleasant phenols from a colder temp with the wild yeast both ways.

Usually it's 10-to-1 odds you'll have amazing cider to something nasty haha. Worth it for how much more delicious natural yeast fermented cider is IMO. Still try to keep the process as clean as possible.

YmfT2U6.jpg

Wild apples on the family property, kept thinking about then while out hunting so today I picked a bunch. Time to run them through a juicer and see what happens.

YmfT2U6.jpg

Wild apples on the family property, kept thinking about then while out hunting so today I picked a bunch. Time to run them through a juicer and see what happens.
Pulp is what happens. So much pulp... got a bit more than a gallon between the 2 types. Strained twice and will update after it settles out some.

Pulp is what happens. So much pulp... got a bit more than a gallon between the 2 types. Strained twice and will update after it settles out some.
That's why it's called a press. Or read up on english cider making where they ferment on the fruit initially.

Ok, so interesting situation. I bottled my cider roughly a month ago in some swing tops and some crown caps. The swing tops are all over carb'd and the crown caps are not. Anyone have an idea why? possibly O2 exchange?

Ok, so interesting situation. I bottled my cider roughly a month ago in some swing tops and some crown caps. The swing tops are all over carb'd and the crown caps are not. Anyone have an idea why? possibly O2 exchange?
Ever carb up? If not, did you fill swing tops first?

Just racked my first cider into a secondary carboy today. Sample I pulled off tasted great (used wyeast dry mead yeast). Unfortunately my secondary had a lot of air space leftover in the vessel, so I topped it off with some leftover cider I didn't use and some water. I hope it doesn't thin it out too much, but lesson learned if it does. Have a second 2 gallon bucket fermenting with the wild yeast present in the juice after the apples were pressed. Haven't opened the bucket to check on it, but it's happily fermenting away and smells great from the outside.

I recently got the WL vault Scottish cider yeast. Did a 2.5 gallon batch with organic juice from Sprouts. It's been carrying this week and I should sample it tonight.

Anyone else use this strain? Had a ton of apple flavor when I kegged it despite finishing at .998

Trying to get myself back brewing so I figured I’d start easy.... 1 gallon Whole Foods Organic Apple Juice and champagne yeast.

6 hours later and that thing is ****ing pumping with CO2.

Maybe the most satisfying $10 you can spend.

I was reading on our sister site about brewing a cider (really apple wine) with frozen apple juice concentrate (thawed)... it’s apparently an OG of 1.2

Anybody ever try that?

Half tempted to get some high gravity yeast this week and see what happens lol.

I've seen differing answers about this but....

... my understanding is that the yeast in cider are very hard to kill (supposedly in England they used to leave the stuff outside to ferment and it's normal for the yeast to be frozen, unthaw, and continue fermenting). Should I be pasteurizing my bottles? Or just cold crash for a few days in the fridge? I don't wanna make anything esplode.

The juice was pasteurized to begin with if that matters (pasteurized, no preservatives).

I've seen differing answers about this but....

... my understanding is that the yeast in cider are very hard to kill (supposedly in England they used to leave the stuff outside to ferment and it's normal for the yeast to be frozen, unthaw, and continue fermenting). Should I be pasteurizing my bottles? Or just cold crash for a few days in the fridge? I don't wanna make anything esplode.

The juice was pasteurized to begin with if that matters (pasteurized, no preservatives).
Shouldn’t be any need to pasteurize unless you’re back-sweetening/ trying to leave residual sugar behind

Back