The Christmas Truce 100th Anniversary- 1st World War Feel Good Story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
December 24, 1914.

I first heard this story in a Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast (Blueprint for Armageddon #3). It was riveting, and a great Christmas story of hope for mankind. In fact, it seems almost like it was written for the movies. Troops in opposing trenches put down their weapons, join together over a barrel of beer and singing Christmas tunes for one night, Christmas eve, then resume the war.

If you're a fan of WWI stories, a fan of Christmas, or just a fan of feel-good stories, this is a good one.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/christmastruce.htm

BTW, I watched a movie a while back that seemed completely based on this story. The movie's based in WWII though, but otherwise seems to follow it perfectly. Good movie for the season:

A Midnight Clear

Good read! I saw something of this on YouTube somewhere. It's good to see how normal men can find a reason to stop such negative activities to share a moment as Terran's, rather than enemies.:mug:

There is a song about it though. My dad used to have a collection of Christmas music other than the old favorites that he'd listen to in the car around this time of year. This was one of the songs on it.

Pretty powerful stuff.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s9coPzDx6tA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's beautiful! *sniff* dangit, now I need a tissue. Reminds me of pop, a seabee in the Philippines. They were overrun 5 or 6 to one by the Japanese trying to keep Guadalcanal. He was bayoneted in his fox hole, but killed the man that tried to kill him. I could still see the terror in his eyes as he told the story, decades later when I was a teen. I say this because he wasn't just my father, but my buddy as well doing so many things. I'm reminded of another tune he plays the melody of towards the end, " A British cur is a soaring sole"...Great song that pretty much says it all. :rockin::mug:

I went on a tour of Ypres Belgium (when in the area visiting Westvleteren), we had a tour guide drive us around the area where you can see the trenches from WWI and the place where the christmas truce occurred. It is an incredible story.

Back