The Catalyst fermentation system..........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it perform as advertised? It looks like it would be perfect for a new person to use. I've always had trouble with siphoning and clearing the crap from the wort. Did it seem easier without the additional steps used in traditional brewing?

Yes, I think it does work as advertised. I've made two batches in it so far and both have turned out well. I did buy an inline filter because I dry hopped with pellets and no hop bags, that is a mistake, always use hop bags.
Bottling is super slick, especially if you use a bottling wand.
Harvesting yeast is a breeze.
Not having a separate bottling bucket is nice, especially in an apartment.

Heck, I kind of want a second one but I have no place to put it.

You get what you pay for only goes so far. What you pay for doesn't always get you the most value.

Stating facts (or at least educated opinions) isn't equivalent to bad mouthing a company. There's a difference between constructive criticism or speaking honestly and being a jerk. I see this a lot in niche communities I frequent such as computer water cooling and homebrewing. People afraid to voice any earnest opinions that don't conform and it's a shame.

Also what did i "make up that wasnt true"?
I wasn't referring to you making things up, and I tried hard to avoid doing that. I was referencing some other comments. Sorry for the confusion. As I said before I agree with you on several points. If someone new was starting out and didn't own a great deal of equipment, had little or no experience, then this would be a great investment as a starter kit. That's my point. Someone that wants to grow from that can and usually will pay for more equipment. Especially once they start to experiment with different yeasts, hops and the like.

I like the idea itself.

I don't like the idea of adding an empty mason jar to drain of the yeast. I don't want to aerate fermented beer. I guess you need to have it on there from the start and open the butterfly. Pitch with the ball/mason jar from the bottom.

I thought about buying this but $200 is too much for me. My marginal value says my spare $100 is better off on a nitrogen tank and gas. I already have a Ni regulator. Then I have another $100 to spare on something else. I can also buy 3 stout faucets for close to $100. ($35 each Amazon via Krome Dispense)

Walmart Bottle - $6.94

I can buy 14 PET Bottles for my leftover $100 dollars. Same as a better-bottle with a handle. Or - 28 PET Bottles for $200.

I will use a carboy and auto syphon or a drilled bucket with a swivel pet-cock valve for now.

You already have a lot of equipment so it doesn't make a lot of sense to start over with something new. You're already doing everything and comfortable with the results. It works great! So why change to something to start all over. I'm new so this could be a good investment and then grow into the brewing, buying equipment and the like. Experimentation is what's the most fun, but not for a new brewer.
Thanks for replying back.

You already have a lot of equipment so it doesn't make a lot of sense to start over with something new. You're already doing everything and comfortable with the results. It works great! So why change to something to start all over. I'm new so this could be a good investment and then grow into the brewing, buying equipment and the like. Experimentation is what's the most fun, but not for a new brewer.
Thanks for replying back.

Good point.

I contemplated buying one in January. I have two old 8.5 gal brew buckets that will need to be replaced at some point. They're starting to get old.

I considered how much they want for one, and steered me away from that decision. I like the idea, and what it does, but not at that price point. I still tend to brew on a tight budget. I might come back to it later if the price comes down or if I want a conical bad enough. I'm sure that I'll shop around before spending a bunch money on one fermenter.

Yes, I think it does work as advertised. I've made two batches in it so far and both have turned out well. I did buy an inline filter because I dry hopped with pellets and no hop bags, that is a mistake, always use hop bags.
Bottling is super slick, especially if you use a bottling wand.
Harvesting yeast is a breeze.
Not having a separate bottling bucket is nice, especially in an apartment.

Heck, I kind of want a second one but I have no place to put it.

That's what i wanted to know. Especially about using bags instead of pellets. The company making this sells a one gallon kit I used to learn about brewing instead of going full on and spending money on stuff I don't know how to use. Their kits utilize a bag. Makes sense they use it for this. I guess I'll save up some money and buy this as my first big investment and because i like their kits. Eventually I'll feel comfortable creating my own recipes but for now, this will work. Thanks my friend:tank:.

Here's a 7 gallon conical. $60.99 Conical + 62.99 Stand = $124. What a deal!!

Plasticmart

ace_infd7-15_7_gallon_inductor_tank.jpg

Okay. Good comparison item.

The issues I see with what you posted and Catalyst are a conical and stand vs a full system. this are the following:

6.5 Gallon Tank with Lid vs conical w/ lid
Stand (Base, 2 Legs, 2 Support Beams, 8 Screws) vs stand

INCLUDED ADD ONS
3” Proprietary Butterfly Valve
Bottling Attachment
Transfer Tubing
Tubing Clamp
Rubber Stopper
16 Oz. Wide Mouth Mason Jar
Allen Wrench

Naturally, I'm comparing this with Catalyst Fermentation System at $199.00 but I have seen it go for $175.00 and it's all inclusive. The other you posted has the conical and a stand.

From where I'm standing, they are about equal because of the extra items added to the Catalyst system. By the time you mess around getting other things, trying to get them to fit, shipping etc, it's a push. Catalyst seems like the better deal because of the parts all working together. Great that you posted this info though for comparison. Not too bad a price difference.

Here's a 7 gallon conical. $60.99 Conical + 62.99 Stand = $124. What a deal!!

Plasticmart

ace_infd7-15_7_gallon_inductor_tank.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... lots of whining about an ad. If it doesn't make sense from a features or price standpoint, then don't buy it. Move on.

I like the features of it, but could afford to wait for a deal, and Midwest had a 20% off deal going last month. So, with the price suddenly becoming $160, I now own one.

My main issue so far is the three or four hands it takes to get the top lid seal back on!

BTW -- It's pretty easy to carry when full, way easier and safer than a full glass carboy. I hate carrying and lifting full carboys!

Brewed an IPA this last weekend, and so am only 3 days into it, but so far so good. I wasn't able to leave any trub behind in the boil kettle, so we'll see how it handles the huge load of trub in this batch.

Otherwise, seems to have roughly the same issues that most conicals have (when to dump trub, when to harvest yeast, how to dry hop (use a bag or not), etc).

Maybe having a racking arm setup would be good sometime, but I can retrofit one with parts I have. For now I'm gonna use it as designed.

Scottie

Wow... lots of whining about an ad. If it doesn't make sense from a features or price standpoint, then don't buy it. Move on.

I like the features of the Catalyst Fermenter, but could afford to wait for a deal, and Midwest had a 20% off deal going last month. So, with the price suddenly becoming $160, I now own one.

My main issue so far is the three or four hands it takes to get the top lid seal back on!

BTW -- It's pretty easy to carry when full, way easier and safer than a full glass carboy.

Brewed an IPA this last weekend, and so am only 3 days into it, but so far so good. I wasn't able to leave any trub behind in the boil kettle, so we'll see how it handles the huge load of trub in this batch.

Otherwise, seems to have roughly the same issues that most conicals have (when to dump trub, when to harvest yeast, how to dry hop (use a bag or not), etc).

Maybe having a racking arm setup would be good sometime, but I can retrofit one with parts I have. For now I'm gonna use it as designed.

Scottie

I like the features of the Catalyst Fermenter, but could afford to wait for a deal, and Midwest had a 20% off deal going last month. So, with the price suddenly becoming $160, I now own one.

BTW -- It's pretty easy to carry when full, way easier and safer than a full glass carboy.

Scottie

The price point was my issue. $160 seems more attractive. However, I've been looking at a $200, 7 gallon stainless conical with a pick up tube.

When I turn the value to release trub into the mason jar, it causes insane bubbles oxidizing the beer.

even with the lid off.

I didn't get CraftABrew's feedback on this, as their videos clearly show air releasing into the fermenting wort, but someone on the Facebook Catalyst page suggested using the bottler attachment to pre-fill a mason jar with wort, then attaching that to the butterfly valve prior to re-opening back into the wort, which should thereby limit the amount of air releasing into the conical.
So, basically:
1. Taking mason jar full of trub and discard.
2. Attach bottling attachment to butterfly valve.
3. Fill new mason jar with wort from bottling attachment.
4. Detach bottling attachment
5. Attach wort-filled mason jar and re-open valve.
6. Voila..?

4. Detach bottling attachment
5. Attach wort-filled mason jar and re-open valve.
6. Voila..?

There will continue to be open space between the butterfly valve and the jar, even if the jar was completely full.

A commercial brewery would transfer the yeast into a purged and vented container while maintaining some CO2 pressure on the conical. This makes sure that nothing from outside the conical will be going back in.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKERsM4fGaE[/ame]

Anyone know anything about the new stainless steel catalyst? Super curious about the price point and features. Looks like it has a sample valve in addition to the mason jar dump valve one the bottom.

Back