That watered downed taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipsymonkey

Reaction score
My downtown brown clone has been brewed and done and has moved the magic place i call the fridge, where it gets ready for drinking. The thing is that i had one yesterday and noticed that it tasted watered down. I noticed this too when I moved it from the primary to the secondary (posted in the contamination thread about it).

My question is, next time i brew, should i just add less water? is that my problem or is it a problem with the ingreedients? I get all my stuff from the local brew store, and it all seems fresh, but i have to admit that I don't really know what "fresh" should be.

thanks!

I'd add more extract because less water means less beer. If it's really just thin, you should just add more extract and be all set.

Do you have a recipe and did you take gravity readings? (Yeah yeah I asked ;)) Was the OG lower than expected?

I wish I could taste it to see what you're talking about. You probably just want more malt to make a bigger beer next time. Cheers! :D

The fact that I didn't add enough extract might be it. I added enough for the recipe, but maybe not enough for my taste. Anyway, i'll dig up the recipe later on and double check it.

And i'm one of the ones that doesn't take the gravity readings... but with this last experience, maybe i should.

I'm definitely one of those ones. I don't even own a hydrometer and have no use for one.

With extract, your calculated OG will be close enough to your actual OG that you really shouldn't need to measure it. Maybe it is just a little light for your tastes.

If you get a chance, do post the recipe and I'll check the numbers and see how it looks. Cheers! :D

PS - this thread is a hydrometer-argument-free-zone ;)

Janx said:
I'm definitely one of those ones. I don't even own a hydrometer and have no use for one.

PS - this thread is a hydrometer-argument-free-zone ;)

Nice recovery from your previous thread reply!

Could be it just hasn't had time to condition yet. If you just bottled it, there is going to be a BIG change in your beer in the next 3 weeks. Not sure you want to condition in the fridge though. Anyway, forgive my butting in (at least I didn't say you need a hydrometer) but your beer is still a changin....

I actually bottled the beer about 4 weeks ago, and they were sitting conditioning in the dark place that i put all my beer to condition. I just moved some of them from there to the fridge to drink. most of them will probably sit there for another week or 2 since i only move 6 into my fridge at a time.

Is the alcohol level good enough for you or is the "taste" taste "watered down"? If your alcohol level is good then you need to add 4 oz malto-dextrine to you brewpot.

If your alcohol level is lower than desired then add more malt / less water.

Back