That coworker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
Fairly new job, fortunately temporary for only another 5 months before I move on to a different one (leadership program at work). Sadly, instead of an office, this one detail I am stuck back in a cube again. Next to a rather nice gentleman who sounds like a dog slobbering on ground meat when he eats or drinks ANYTHING. I mean, anything. And it takes him forever to eat anything. He'll eat like a biscuit and 3 chicken legs for lunch and it'll take him 20 dang minutes to eat it.

When I tell my kids to chew with their mouth closed, the worst of the bunch isn't even 1/10th as loud as this guy is. It is like nails on a gosh darned chalkboard.

It is maybe the only thing terrible about my current position, but it is almost literally killing my soul. He snacks all day long, so in 8 1/2hrs, I probably have to listen to it for 2hrs.

:(

That sucks!

I've had to endure pretty much the same thing at a job a few years ago. I quickly learned to bring in headphones so I can listen to music or talk radio instead of someone who doesn't know how to close his mouth when eating.

Since you are right down the street from me, I thought it might have been me but I only work an 8 hour shift ;)
Might I suggest:
41Vs58MYRBL._SY300_.jpg

I actually wear these at work. I do IT work with high pitched whining machines and high pitched whining non machines. I also wear these when I mow my lawn. They are actually very nice. The music is amazing without any distraction from my work center. I get a lot done.

Since you are right down the street from me, I thought it might have been me but I only work an 8 hour shift ;)
Might I suggest:
41Vs58MYRBL._SY300_.jpg

I actually wear these at work. I do IT work with high pitched whining machines and high pitched whining non machines. I also wear these when I mow my lawn. They are actually very nice. The music is amazing without any distraction from my work center. I get a lot done.

the '70s called. they want their headphones back.

That sucks!

I've had to endure pretty much the same thing at a job a few years ago. I quickly learned to bring in headphones so I can listen to music or talk radio instead of someone who doesn't know how to close his mouth when eating.

I wish. With my job I really can't. The best I can do is take a walk around to check-in with folks and see how their work is going. Sadly I can't spend 2hrs a day doing that (otherwise I would start getting called the micromanager from hell).

Of all the annoying habits...this one. gah.

Fairly new job, fortunately temporary for only another 5 months before I move on to a different one (leadership program at work). Sadly, instead of an office, this one detail I am stuck back in a cube again. Next to a rather nice gentleman who sounds like a dog slobbering on ground meat when he eats or drinks ANYTHING. I mean, anything. And it takes him forever to eat anything. He'll eat like a biscuit and 3 chicken legs for lunch and it'll take him 20 dang minutes to eat it.

When I tell my kids to chew with their mouth closed, the worst of the bunch isn't even 1/10th as loud as this guy is. It is like nails on a gosh darned chalkboard.

It is maybe the only thing terrible about my current position, but it is almost literally killing my soul. He snacks all day long, so in 8 1/2hrs, I probably have to listen to it for 2hrs.

:(

I think I work with a relative of your coworker!!!!!!
So I sympathize and relate to your frustration.
I dont have the fortune of a cubicle. We just sit at desks. I am perpendicular to him and facing a wall, but can hear it from the side. ever day, the same lunch. every day eating with his mouth open. Every day sounding like a cow chewing !!!!!
then he eats a snack, goes to the secretary and grabs chocolate.
And to compound his open mouth eating, he is one of these people that relishes every bit. Ever morsel of food is worthy of a groan.
As if a boars head ham sandwich is worthy of such auditory excitement!
I think most of it is for show, since the person is single and a shut in (wonder why!)
I have complained, management has spoken to him. So when he eats I walk out of the office and go take a leak!
or I turn up my music at my desk. there is enough free streaming music on the interwebs that I can have some good jams streaming.
Look into some ear buds and plug into your computer.
Check out Pandora or Jamstreams or whatever people listen to music on interwebs these days.

best of luck!

I will trade you obnoxious coworkers. I will take the loud eating guy over captain stares off into space, does no actual work, literally smells like s***, and overall makes more work for the rest of us that works with me. 20 minutes of annoyance is a walk in the park in comparison.

One of my guys in the shop chews the same way. I will not sit next to or across from him when we have lunch in a group.

I've had coworkers/employees who pretty much refused to do work. Those were maybe the worst. Short of that, this guys is the worst I have had to work with/near.

Never had to deal directly with BO issues. There was one guy who was pretty horrible. Slept in his cube a few times and I don't mean during the day. He "stopped" doing that after management talked with him (I was pretty brand new over 10 years ago) after he was found sleeping on the floor of his cubicle by early people a few times.

Took sponge baths in the bathroom occasionally (another management talk). He had a place. Management even verified it. He just didn't always go home to it.

He was in my division but I didn't work with him directly much or often. He retired after I was there for about 15 months. Thank goodness.

In this case, I don't know that I have many options. It is a grit and bear it for the next few months. Now that I am management, I just don't know I can do much about it. I seem to be the only one who has an issue with it (I haven't heard anyone else report problems with it and the supervisors/office manager haven't told me anything about it). I really don't need to develop a union problem/employee complaint over me addressing it.

Now if someone else reports a problem with it to me, I can probably address the issue with him.

I really, really, really want someone to report a problem with it to me.

It should not be considered unreasonable if you ask nicely of them to eat quietly at their desk.

Can always go to your boss and ask for input on how to approach them keeping it respectful.

Back