Testing Mash Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
So I'm right now in the middle of my 1st AG batch :D and am also using ProMash. When testing efficiency when do most do it, before boil or after? I was going to test OG before & after though.

This is so cool, it's like before with the DME & steeping I was doing good frozen dinners; this is home made baby :cool: (more time though!)

I hope to do my first all grain towards the end of July. Im still working on getting my system together. I'm very interested in people's responses to you question as I will eventually need to be worried about efficiency. Right now I do partial mash, so efficiency, while important, is not my main focus as I have the majority of my fermentables still coming from extract. That will soon change. Just reading all the recent experiences everyone on the board has had with switching to all grain.....Im salivating. I can't wait to do my first batch!

I have never used ProMash, but it shouldn't matter. What you need is the gravity and the volume of wort. As the wort is boiled, it's volume reduces and the gravity increases. For the purposes of testing efficiency, 6 gallons of 1.045 wort (e.g. pre-boil) is the same as 5 gallons of 1.054 wort (e.g. post-boil).

How are you getting potential extract for your particular grain for the calculation?

Justin Chomel said:
I have never used ProMash, but it shouldn't matter. What you need is the gravity and the volume of wort. As the wort is boiled, it's volume reduces and the gravity increases. For the purposes of testing efficiency, 6 gallons of 1.045 wort (e.g. pre-boil) is the same as 5 gallons of 1.054 wort (e.g. post-boil).

How are you getting potential extract for your particular grain for the calculation?

ProMash has a database of grains, adjuncts etc which gives you the potential. I ended up with 87% after plugging in the numbers (after boil). 1.051 was max, I came in at 1.047. Thanks for the info...

I usually do post boil. Just my perefernce though. I want to make sure I have the right volumes. Then I take a OG reference reading right out of my primary ....pre-pitching

Sudster said:
I usually do post boil. Just my perefernce though. I want to make sure I have the right volumes. Then I take a OG reference reading right out of my primary ....pre-pitching

Yea, with kit beer etc that's when you take it and think I'll continue post boil. From what I gather ProMash takes that into consideration when you plug in the #'s and select that option.

thanks

desertBrew said:
So I'm right now in the middle of my 1st AG batch :D and am also using ProMash. When testing efficiency when do most do it, before boil or after? I was going to test OG before & after though.

This is so cool, it's like before with the DME & steeping I was doing good frozen dinners; this is home made baby :cool: (more time though!)

i TRY to remember to do it post boil, after i've cooled the wort, but before i aerate and pitch. depends on how many brews i have while i brew! :D

but, with my system (cooler mash/lauter tun), there are so many variables that i could brew the same batch 4 times, and get different numbers and efficienty. i just stopped worrying about it until i get my three tiered keg-kettle system completed. that way i can be more consistent and re-produce the same beers. mine still taste great, i just don't worry about the technical stuff......
good luck!

Back