Testing for alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys
Since Sunday, I've had an IPA in primary. I need to know whether it has fermented or not. I tried to smell the alcohol, but the hops are too strong and just about burns your nose. Then I tried tasting it, but I might as well just suck on a bag of hops (thats what it tastes like). Are there any simple tests I can do to see if it has fermented or not? Like possably items that float in water but not alcohol?

Hydrometer, get one, a necesary tool for brewing, until you get one you will not be able to test for ABV.

hopsalot said:
Hydrometer, get one, a necesary tool for brewing, until you get one you will not be able to test for ABV.

I have a hydrometer, but do not feel like wasting any brew on a test. Oh well, if thats the only way then I have no choice then to test using the hydrometer.

hopsalot said:
Also it was most likely CO2 that burned your nose when you smelled your beer
More than likely. I could feel a little fizz action on my tounge as I tasted the brew.

GRBrewer said:
I have a hydrometer, but do not feel like wasting any brew on a test. Oh well, if thats the only way then I have no choice then to test using the hydrometer.

Instead of filling up that whole big sample tube, just fill up the little sleeve the hydrometer came in. It uses a fraction of the amount needed for that big tube (assuming your hydrometer was packaged like mine)

It's only been in since Sunday. Just relax and give it more time. Once it's been in at least two weeks take a hydrometer reading, then another three days later. If it's the same, then you're done. Otherwise, let it keep going. :mug:

JonM said:
Instead of filling up that whole big sample tube, just fill up the little sleeve the hydrometer came in. It uses a fraction of the amount needed for that big tube (assuming your hydrometer was packaged like mine)

Great idea, but the sleeve was thrown away. D:

Clanchief said:
It's only been in since Sunday. Just relax and give it more time. Once it's been in at least two weeks take a hydrometer reading, then another three days later. If it's the same, then you're done. Otherwise, let it keep going. :mug:

True. Its going to be around 5% ABV, so I should try to get all of the alcohol that I can.

if you are fementing in a bucket you can put the hydrometer in the bucket and take a reading, but like Clanchief said WAIT

Bummer. If you have a science supply place nearby, you can get a little 125 or so ml graduated cylinder that'll do the trick.

If your worried about wasted beer - just drink the sample. Yeast in suspension is good for ya! :D

Seriously, I like to take lots of samples too, so I got myself a refractometer. However at first, I was dismayed to find out that its not readily used for fermentation samples (something about alcohol affecting the measurements). But I found out that BeerSmith (I'm sure it's available elsewhere too) has a way to compensate for alcohol in the sample.

JonM said:
Bummer. If you have a science supply place nearby, you can get a little 125 or so ml graduated cylinder that'll do the trick.

There is a hobby shop near by that has a whole assortment of graduated cylinders. I may have to see what they have tomorrow morning.

JerseyBrewer said:
If your worried about wasted beer - just drink the sample. Yeast in suspension is good for ya! :D

Seriously, I like to take lots of samples too, so I got myself a refractometer. However at first, I was dismayed to find out that its not readily used for fermentation samples (something about alcohol affecting the measurements). But I found out that BeerSmith (I'm sure it's available elsewhere too) has a way to compensate for alcohol in the sample.

I've been thinking of getting one of those, but they're a little pricy. :(

But I found out that BeerSmith (I'm sure it's available elsewhere too) has a way to compensate for alcohol in the sample.

Even with the formula, many people have found the readings to be inaccurate. Granted, it'll show you that things are moving along, but it won't give you accurate numbers toward the end of the fermentation.

Even with the formula, many people have found the readings to be inaccurate. Granted, it'll show you that things are moving along, but it won't give you accurate numbers toward the end of the fermentation.

Interesting. I do tend to use both tools, and now that I think of it, at the very end I usually use the hydrometer. I'll have to do a side-by-side all the way to the end to see if i can see a difference.

I will say that seeing the blue line is much easier than finding the measurement on the hydrometer.

Really? Last Sunday, as in three days ago? You don't need to break out the hydrometer. It's not done yet. I wouldn't even touch it for at least a couple weeks. Start planning out your next brew to keep your mind off of it.

Latest posts

Back