Tested blackberry wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValdemarQ

Reaction score
Hello guys!

Wanted to share my blackberry wine recipe!

Aside from preserve, jam, and compote you can use blackberries to make a very tasty and slightly harsh wine with a color slightly resembling grape wine. Its recipe is as solid as a rock. In Serbia this beverage is called “drunken blackberry”. They make it in almost every village and serve very cold or in glasses with ice.

All varieties of blackberry are fit for home winemaking. You should pick only juicy fresh berries which grew in sunlight, because wine from berries which mellowed in shadow turns out to be watery and not as fragrant. First, you thoroughly sort out the berries, remove tainted or moldy ones. Then wash the blackberries, put on a paper towel and let the water pour out. Only after this the blackberries are ready for use.

Ingredients:

Blackberries – 4.4 lb / 2 kg
Water – 0.25 gal / 1 liter
Sugar – 2.2 lb / 1 kg
Unwashed raisins – 1.8 oz / 50 gr (Alternatively use wine yeast)
There are wild yeasts on the surface of raisins, which will start the fermentation in case there are no yeasts on the blackberries. This is rare but you should get reinsured.

Blackberry Wine recipe

1. Crush the blackberries till smooth, and then put the squash into a non-metal container with a wide bottleneck.

2. Add raisins, water, and 14 oz / 400 gr of sugar, stir it up. (Raisins are natural yeasts, but you can add wine yeasts in proportions on your label)

3. Leave the container in a dark place with a room temperature, tie up the bottleneck with gauze and leave it for 3-4 days. Once a day stir the must with clear hands or with a wooden spoon, knocking down “the hat” from pulp on the surface.

4. If you see the signs of fermentation (sour smell, foaming and hissing), filter the juice through gauze, then pour it into a fermentation container (fill it up to 70% of its volume). Squeeze the pulp by hands and mix obtained liquid with the juice.

5. Add 10.5 oz / 300 grams of sugar, stir it up. Install a water lock for wine or a sterile medical glove with a hole in one of the fingers, seal all of the connections. Leave the container in a dark place with a temperature of 65-77F° / 18-25°C.

6. After 4 days add remaining sugar (10.5 oz / 300 grams) to the must. For this you’ll have to take off the lock (the glove), pour 0.5 qt / 500 ml of juice, and dissolve sugar in it. Then pour the syrup back into the must and install the air lock.

7. After 35-45 days the fermentation will stop: the blackberry wine will get brighter, there will be a later of sediment at the bottom, the water lock will stop bubbling (the glove will deflate). It’s time to pour the new wine into another clean container through a narrow tube without touching the sediment at the bottom.

8. Leave the tightly sealed container in a dark room with a temperature of 50-61F° / 10-16°C for 60-90 days of aging.

9.Separate the blackberry wine from the sediment once again and bottle it. Then seal the bottles with corks. Store it in a fridge or a basement. Its shelf-life is 1-2 years.

Enjoy!

I add sugar to frozen berries and let them thaw. You can add as little as a few tbs or alot. They will juice like crazy. Mash and then strain this through a large coarse bag.

I thinned 3/4 gallon of blackberry juice with almost a quart of Welch's unfiltered concord grape juice. The semi filtered blackberry juice was still very thick to use straight and i didn't want to add water.

Add enough fermentable sugar to reach your desired OG.

I have enough juice leftover for topping off later. I mixed 50/50 blackberry juice and the Welchs but this time i filtered through a coarse and a fine bag.

Im going for a full bodied blackberry wine with some sweetness left. It makes a great pork rib marinade. :D

Back