Temp After primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmlipps

Reaction score
When active or primary fermentation ends is temp still important?

Once initial fermentation is done,temps aren't as critical. but I like to keep it in a reasonable range just the same.

What is the diacetyl rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Diacetyl is a byproduct of fermentation. Generally, the yeast will clean it up. However, this sometimes takes place over a period of a couple weeks up to a couple months. You can help the yeast clean up faster by increasing the temp when fermentation is 75-80% complete. The yeast will be more active and more likely to clean up. I increase temp of my lagers from low 50s to mid sixties.

(To answer your question, the diacetyl REST is the period when the beer is warmed after most of fermentation before cooling to lager.)

At this point you can relax. Avoid extremes and large temperature swings. Room temperature is ideal.

How about right near the end of primary, but not quite done? (I.e., no longer visible activity in the airlock, but gravity hasn't yet leveled off.)

I've had my very first brew (a red amber ale, extract with Wyeast 1056) fermenting for about 8 days, and have been using an electric heating pad plugged into a Ranco to keep it steady at 66F (recommended range was 65-68F). This has been fine so far, since ambient temps have been about 55-65F. However, today's high is 71, with the next two days expected to be 81 and 84 (and then back down to the low 60s by Friday).

Ambient temps in the basement where I'm fermenting should be cooler than outside, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it get up to 75 or so tomorrow and Thursday. At this stage do I need to worry about finding a way to keep my temps down, or is primary close enough to finished that a bit of a bump in temperature won't do a lot of harm?

(mmlipps, sorry about hijacking your thread, but since my question was so similar I figured it didn't deserve its own thread.)

Latest posts

Back