Tell me whats wrong with this chamber plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
I'd like to build a new fermentation chamber out of what I have laying around. Hoping for some review to see if I'm over looking some obvious problems.

I have a dead 25 cu ft chest freezer and a working Sanyo 4912 mini fridge that I currently use as a kegerator.

My thought is to build a collar on the freezer, pull the tower off the Sanyo, and run a short duct from the top of the fridge to the side of the collar.
I would put a fan at the fridge to push the cold air to the freezer. A temp prob would live in the freezer and control the fridge.

My first thought was round flex tubing, but maybe using foam board would be better.

I have seen people pull the cool plate out of a mini fridge and put it in a bigger chamber, but unfortunately the Sanyo has the coils integrated into the tops and sides, not hanging on the back.

Here is a quick sketch of what I'm thinking.

http://imgur.com/PWw2euX

You need a path for the air to get back to the smaller freezer. Other than that it should work, it may not be very efficient and you may get some temperature drift.

what wrong:
You lose your kegerator.
You are using a very small cooling source to cool a large volume = decreased performance.
You will have to spend time, materials retrofitting.

alternative: find working freezer off of Craigslist, take other one to dump.
pros: will work better, better functionality (will lager, will do lager yeast ferments)
don't lose kegerator, save time not having to build collar.
Con: cost money, probably 50-100 bucks.

I bought a brand new kenmore 7cuft chest freezer at sears outlet for 150 bucks. Not worth the hassle and money screwing around trying to make a sketchy deal work when if shop around you can get something new.

Back