Techniques for achieving a lighter product with extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my 3rd brew and my first one that is targeted to be a lighter color. I am aware that extract brewing produces a darker colored final product than mash but I also know that there are techniques to make it lighter. Using DME as opposed to LME is know I know, but can the 2 be used interchangeably (pound for pound) in recipes? I've also heard people talking about late additions. Can someone outline how that works or point me to somewhere that does that? Any help is greatly appreciated by a novice brewer. :D

First off, LME is 20% water so you have to account for that when making substitutions. 1 lb LME = .8 lbs DME.

I use mostly LME (bulk, not canned) and can make some pretty light colored brews, so I don't think that simply switching to dry extract will do it. The biggest impact would be do start using a late addition technique. Basically you start your boil with about half the extract, adding the rest during the last 10 minutes or so of the boil. I prefer LME at this point because the DME gets really clumpy and sticky from the steam. Liquid extract mixes very easily with the near boiling wort. Make sure the heat is OFF when you add the extract - and if you're using an electric burner I'd even move the pot off the burner while adding. It doesn't take much scorching to darken up the batch.

I return it to a boil, add my finishing hops and then start cooling it. If you're doing a partial mash, you can hold off even more of your extract until later. I do most of mine that way, with 4-5 lbs of grain for the PM and I hold all of my extract until the 10 minute mark. It's made a big difference in the color.

You may also notice a little more bittering from your early hops additions because of the lighter gravity boil. Some folks will reduce their bittering additions by 10-20% to compensate - I don't, because I think they end up more like they're intended to be and I consider it an improvement. But it might be something to consider and play around. The later flavor and aroma additions (anything less than 20 minutes pretty much) should not be changed though.

dme has more fermentables by weight than LME, given LME has more water in it.
adding 1/2 or slightly more of the extract in the last 10-15 min of the boil will reduce the carmelization from concentrated boils, and increase your hop utilization rate.
use the lightest dme you can find and add the bulk of it at the end of the boil. you can use this process for any extract partial boil beer. you want to get the color from the specialty grains in most cases, not from kettle carmelization (some styles will want this though i.e. barleywine and scotch ale (i think)).

edit:
ifishsum addressed most of what i wrote as i was writing. I would say that LME darkens as it ages, so if you are getting it from a high volume homebrew store, it would be fine, but if you are storing it or getting it from a less busy store, it can be darker than when its fresh.

Great. I'll stick to LME but try and find it bulk packed. Late additions don't sound like anything special either, so I will give it a try.

I agree with the late additon. Since I started doing this my color has lightened dramaticlly. I tend to do extract addtion @ flame out as well. I did an AHS Blue Moon clone with half of the extract added @ flame out. That beer came out lighter that an actual Blue Moon in a side by side check. BTW is also tasted excatly the same.

Great. I'll stick to LME but try and find it bulk packed. Late additions don't sound like anything special either, so I will give it a try.

I've been doing reduced boils and late addition brewing since 1994 (8 years before it was "created" as a technique...) :rockin:

This is a pic of one of my lighter brews made with 100% DME...I think it's special enough that after all this time I still do them...I've never done a full boil. :D

PA190576-00.jpg

There goes HB Bill again, showing off his awesome extract brewed, very light, very clear beer!

I have extract brewing envy!

I'm getting there, but haven't quite made it.

It's hard to not be a proud owner of that brew...:rockin::D

I was just showing the OP that it is possible...

I took a Pale Ale to this weekend's club meeting in Galesburg and they were surprised to see and drink a light colored beer...none of them try to. The lightest one was amber.

Neumann...PM me and I'll try to help you with a few pointers on LA. :D

Back