Tech help: search engine redirect virus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJstout

Reaction score
I recently got something on my laptop that whenever i search anything using yahoo or google, any search result i click on, brings me to a wrong link.

For example, a type "how to remove redirect virus" into yahoo.com . I get a ton of results, the first being a link to ehow.com article on how to remove it. But i click the link and it doesnt bring me to ehow.com, it brings my to some BS ad site or get-answers-fast.com

this happens when i search for anything, and click on any link.

anyone have experience with this?

Have you done full scans with Spybot Search & Destroy and Malware Bytes yet? That is a good first step. Also, check that nothing is setup in your browser as a proxy. Can't really give you better directions for checking your proxy settings without knowing what browser you are using. What antivirus do you have installed and when is the last time you updated it and did a full scan?

Most of that is just generic good practice stuff. After that you get into dealing with a particularly stubborn issue they can't deal with or a persistent virus/malware that keeps coming back after it is removed.

My Norton expired months ago.

I installed Malwarebytes Anti-malware earlier today but the scans detect nothing

Check to see if a proxy server is listed. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, and if any boxes are checked, uncheck them. If you still have a browser redirect, pm me and I'll help you remove it.

CHeck your hosts file for modification:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts

Should only have:

127.0.0.1 Localhost

May have one or two others, depending on your network needs, but for home use this is probably all.

That is a nice bug to have. I'd had to boot to safe mode and run several spyware scans and then sometimes boot to a live CD and delete the offending file by hand.

You may also want to check the Scheduled Tasks. I've seen a few lately that set up a scheduled download of itself so even if you get rid of it, it comes back and it runs again.

Also, you might try deleting all Add-Ons in Internet Options, and doing a global reset on Internet Options.

Then there is always the restore to a previous point...

Also, you might try deleting all Add-Ons in Internet Options, and doing a global reset on Internet Options.

Then there is always the restore to a previous point...

I got a nasty virus once that even prevented restoring from a previous point.

There is a registry entry to turn off system restore. We have seen more and more root kits and boot kits lately. Usually, they can only be removed by removing the hard drive from the infected system and scanning it on another system.

There is a registry entry to turn off system restore. We have seen more and more root kits and boot kits lately. Usually, they can only be removed by removing the hard drive from the infected system and scanning it on another system.

Yeah, but you can run a restore from a boot disk and bypass the registry...

Pretty sure I got this one too. Haven't had time to mess with it. I installed Safari and used it for a temp fix. It's probably time for a fresh install.

Latest posts

Back