Taste Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absolut_Ninja

Reaction score
I have been brewing over a year now. I read somewhere a while back about beer tasting "carbonated". I don't know how else to explain it, or where to find that thread again. I have ramped up my techniques and sanitization, so some problems have been eliminated. My brews are tasting better as I go. It just tastes like I am making it out of seltzer water. I usually make hefes, and do not notice it when I buy a beer. I thought it was the green that would tame down in time, but it doesn't seem to change from 3 weeks to 10. Should I be waiting longer on a hefe? Or am I ignorant to what I am tasting/perceiving?

Are you talking about it tasting carbonated before you bottle/keg and carb it, or just that after it's carbed up and ready to drink it just seems like it has too much of a carbonation bite?

There is a def bite after carbonation. I have tried using less corn sugar, less carbonation, but it still seems to bite a little.

I was using the standard 3/4 cup. I toned it down a couple times to 3 oz; less carbonation, seemingly sensing same flavor.

hmmm...assuming you are waiting until fermentation is 100% complete (at least 3 weeks) and checking gravity...not just assuming its done b/c the airlock activity stopped...I'm stumped
:drunk:

I appreciate the speedy replies. I def check gravity. I even secondary sometimes. I think maybe there is something in the wheat (flaked) or extract I am not used to. I don't wanna be a "I lived in Germany for a couple years and blah blah blah" snob, but that is what I have to compare. Thanks.

btw, just cause I don't notice it in the airlock samples, or during bottling, doesn't mean its not there; just don't sense it. Trying to give every clue I can!

how much flaked wheat? .5lb would be good for head retention but there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing"

I have not checked the water. That may be what it is. I preboil & cool the top off water. I have tried .5, 1, & 1.5 oz flaked wheat. I sometimes use 4 oz Munich malt. Good call.

Now that I posted all that, I just tried my new hefe and there is no bite. WTF? Bout 10 batches under the belt and this is the first I don't notice it. Could there be something about high fermentation temps w/ 3068 or 3056 that could cause this? This last batch was controlled a little better, bout 66.

Back