Tannins.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, this is total noob territory for me.
I've made a few wine kits which have had pleasant and drinkable results.
I have a few wine books that are around 30 to 40 years old. I've made a batch of country carrot wine because it seems to be highly recommended in all the stuff I've read. One thing I spot is a lot of the wines I want to make are from lacking in Tannins. I know I could add powders and chemicals available but I like to use what I have to hand. I read that a cup of cold strong tea is adequate to add tannins sufficient for 1 gallon of wine.

But I was thinking in All Grain brewing one of the requirements is to keep tannings out so we stop sparging when the runnings get below 1006 and keep the temp down below 170.

So I was thinking, If after I finish brewing I run boiling water over my remaining grist and collect would I be able to use the collected water for wine.
It would have a low sugar content, some barley flavour and hopefully enough tannins to make a good country wine.

Any thoughs, comments or suggestions?

I have no idea but it sure sounds like it would work. You'd probably have to taste the runnings before you used it for your wine, just to make sure it's not too much tanin. You want a bit of "bite", but not astringency. I use powdered tannin, which I believe is made from grape skins. Or, another fruit with lots of tannin to balance out the less tannic fruit. Elderberries, for one, are very high in tannin.

this sounds like a worthwhile experiment- let us know how it turns out!

Back