Tankless Domestic Hot Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
I've read a number of threads with varying levels of conversation about this topic, but they all seem to be all over the place.

I'm currently finishing up my basement 3 vessel electric brewing system, and in an effort to speed my brew day, I'm looking into filling my vessels with hot water from my home tankless hot water heating system. I dont have any water softeners, or inline filters on the system, and i wouldnt be adding directly from the burner system, i was planning on just letting my kitchen sink run for a couple minutes to run off anything sitting in the pipes, then start filling a couple 5 gallon buckets with 130degree tap water, going downstairs, dumping directly into my HLT, and kicking my system on.

Would be a whole heck of a lot quicker getting to my strike temps from 130 degrees, than from 40s-50s during the winter. Especially since i'm running at 120v 1650watt for the time being in my HLT.

I would imagine if i had a hot water tank heater, that would be a no go since the hot water sits in the tank, sediment, etc etc.......but with an oil fired tankless hot water system, i'm basically just running anything out of the pipe by running the water for a few minutes before hand, then its basically just heated cold water right into my buckets. Pop a campden tab in, flip the system on, and i'm good to go. No?

If I were you, I'd be concerned about the concern over things sitting in the pipes that you had to flush out. Where's that stuff coming from? If it's in the water and settling out, then flushing it out isn't going to accomplish anything, because the follow-on water also has that stuff in it--it just hasn't had a chance to settle out.

If the pipes themselves are shedding detritus, then you have a different issue.

I've never heard of a tankless oil-fired hot water system--electric and nat gas, yes, but not oil.

Is your home heating system oil-fired and using a boiler, and the "tankless" system is simply a heat exchanger in the boiler?

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you, if you're using that water cold then you're using the same water.

If I were you, I'd be concerned about the concern over things sitting in the pipes that you had to flush out. Where's that stuff coming from? If it's in the water and settling out, then flushing it out isn't going to accomplish anything, because the follow-on water also has that stuff in it--it just hasn't had a chance to settle out.

If the pipes themselves are shedding detritus, then you have a different issue.

I've never heard of a tankless oil-fired hot water system--electric and nat gas, yes, but not oil.

Is your home heating system oil-fired and using a boiler, and the "tankless" system is simply a heat exchanger in the boiler?

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you, if you're using that water cold then you're using the same water.

Yes you prety much hit the nail on the head. Its a tankless coil system.
how-does-a-tankless-coil-hot-water-system-work.jpg__1002x807_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

Basically the oil burner heats the home baseboard/radiator heater water as normally would with an oil burning hot water heating system, but then theres a coil inside the burner as well, that runs cold tap water through it, and the resulting hot water coming out the other side is what is used for faucets, showers, etc. So the only stagnant water, is whatever is in the supply pipe between the faucet and the coil in between usage at the tap. So if i'm using cold water from my tap for brewing without issue, i would think using the hot water wouldnt be an issue either. Running it for a a minute or so before hand would just be extra caution. Long Island water is fairly good for brewing in general, and some Long Island breweries don't even treat their water before brewing unless its for a specific recipe that requires it. So for me, it just seems if the cold water has been fine for brewing, why would the hot water be any different for me in my system.

Not knowing the construction of the system nor the age of your pipes (lead? PEX leaching chemicals?).....consider that hot water will dissolve contaminants at a greater rate than cold water, so the resulting water may not be the same. Also, due to evaporation, brewing concentrates the amount of contaminants per volume of water/beer.

If you don't have any lead issues related to the boiler or beyond, it is probably ok. Personally I would start with the cold water and get an a timer suitable for that kind of current. Fill up the night before and have hot strike water when you wake up and are ready to brew.

Yeah AFAIK theres no lead issues in my home. Its all pretty much just copper piping, and the oil burner/coils are only 5 years old.

Get a separate instant hot water,. Maybe you find one that go up to 170 range... That way you can filter better. my 15 gallon kettle goes from 60 ground water (well water) to 152.in 20-30 minutes

Latest posts

Back