Taking my brew with me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy_Liverdye

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In June Me and the Mrs. are flying from CA to NC. Us, the four "kids", and six grandkids are getting together at MCAS Cherry Point and I want to bring some brew.

According to TSA there's no limit on beverages under 24% alc so I was going to take a box of 12 22oz. Anyone ever try this? Anyone want to start a pool on how many make it?

Over the holidays I used a wine box to check 3 22oz and 3 750 ml bottles of beer for the family.

This is the box that we get mail order wine in so they have the pressed paper forms to hold and protect the bottles. I just double bagged the beers and then taped up the box and put my name and address on the box. I also had a luggage strap that I put around the box in case TSA decided to cut open the box to inspect. At check in American Airlines asked what was in the box and I told them 6 bottles of beer. No problems.

Coming home, I filled up the box with local beer, did not bother taping the box just used the luggage strap. Same thing, they asked what was in the box, I told them Beer and there was no problem.

A couple of weeks ago I flew to Northern California. I used the pressed paper wine bottle forms in my luggage to bring home some Pliny and other Russian River beers.

My wife is a Gold Member with American Airlines so I never have to worry about paying luggage fees. If you are trying to take 12 bombers it may be cheaper to use UPS if you have to pay luggage fees.

I fly with beer and alcohol all the time. Inside the US it's as simple as putting it inside something sturdy and checking it. There's no customs so nobody cares (usually they don't care on international inbound flights either). Make sure that your luggage has a TSA lock and it's less likely to get cut (sometimes they still will because the TSA are idiots). If you can, get luggage that locks properly...not locking two zippers together. I've had them rip the lock and zippers off...which means anyone can just open your luggage. Anyway back to packing...I've done everything from bubble wrap, t-shirts, to lunchboxes. I would recommend hard-sided luggage if you have it. If all you have is canvas or leather luggage, try to pack it in the middle and make sure it is double bagged. If you can afford it, buy something like a pelican case. The only time I've had something break was when I tried wrapping bottles in t-shirts in soft-sided luggage during an international flight. You'll hear people talk about air pressure causing beer bottles to explode etc...I've never had that happen.

I never flown with beer, but with wine and spirits a lot. I've done a lot of international flights just with the t-shirt wrapping and tight pack. If you were worried about it, I'd do bubble wrap and probably contained in a ziploc bag.

Back