Sweeter Mead=Slower start to Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSager89

Reaction score
I'm making a small (1 gallon) batch of mead to test a new recipe my girlfriend gave me the idea for. I make it using 4-4.5 lbs of honey (so very sweet). However, I have noticed that is has had a MUCH slower start then my previous few batches. I can here it going, but much slower then the others. Is that just because of the larger proportion of honey/viscosity of the must?

Most likely, yes.
The higher amount of honey creates a very high gravity (probably above 1.160) must that negatively impacts the yeast. They have to spend a lot of energy to off-set the osmotic effect (preventing water from being sucked out of them) by producing glycerol. It may cause the lag phase to last longer, and for some yeast, it may cause them to stall.

Which yeast did you use here?

I just checked the gravity and it is very high (1.170+). I am using Lalvin EC 1118 yeast for this batch. Would it be beneficial then to add a yeast energizer?

Back