Sweet Cherry Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dla

Reaction score
1.5 liter bottle Martinelli's Cider
1 lb honey
12oz strong black tea (1 tea bag, brewed 10 minutes)
1/5 Packet of Nottingham Yeast

(at bottling) 8oz Trader Joes 100% tart cherry juice

This recipe turned out great, so I thought I'd share. I combine the initial ingredients in a stock pot and heated slightly to be able to dissolve all the honey. Rehydrated the yeast per the packet instructions, funnelled it into a glass one gallon jug and funnelled in the juice/honey/tea once it was it was back at room temperature.

Fermented for 10 days, and then cold crashed in the fridge for 1 week. It cleared nicely after a few days. Added 8oz of cherry juice to the jug and then racked into a 1 liter and .5 liter swing top. Final gravity was 1.034 (unfortunately I did not take an original gravity reading. I imagine it was somewhere in the 1.080-1.090 range?). Let it sit out for a couple days until the tester felt pretty stiff and then put it in the fridge for a few more days. It tasted good initially, but a week after bottling tasted much better.

I plan to make this again, doubling the recipe for a full gallon. I did not pasteurize the bottles, as they were kept in the fridge and drank rather quickly.

IMG_1324.jpg

Back