supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil

Reaction score
Greetings...
I have been buying supplies from Midwest Brewing and they as a business are great, but the shipping is poor. They recently switched from UPS to FedEx. I have had things arrive late almost every other order. I have brought it to their attention, but it's really a FedEx issue.

Question #1: are any other users ordering from Midwest and are you having the same problem with shipping as I am?

Question #2: any other suppliers that have great prices and use anything but FedEx out there?

Cheers

Neil

Northern Brewer uses UPS and has competitive prices with Midwest, a lot of items are actually cheaper. The selection isn't as varied, however.

I'm actually surprised to hear you like UPS better than FedEx. I have several packages shipped to me daily, most of which are sensitive electronic items. The FedEx packages normally arrive on time and have never been damaged, whereas the UPS packages are late 9/10 times and are sometimes damaged. It must be our different locations that provide such a conflicting service pattern.

where do you live neil? fed ex might not have the greatest level of service depeding on location. i've no had any problems with fedex, and many times they've come back two and three times in the same day to deliever a package. but location is everything. a package sent to my former innercity dwelling would get one shot, then i'd have to go pick it up, but when we moved to the posh suburbs, blamo they come by two times and make sure i get it... ;)

I use Midwest Brewing also.

Colin has always been a great help in accommodating my orders.

Unfortunately, they have no control over shipping times.

Most of my deliveries have been late, but that's mostly by choice since I prefer all my supplies at one time instead of seperate shipments.

The bulk of my last shipment was 165 lbs of malt (55 lbs each of Wheat, Amber and Extra Light DME). I have another 55 lbs of Extra Light DME arriving in a couple of days. They charged me the same price for the Wheat as the rest of the malts. Most places charge more for Wheat.

With shipping I averaged paying only $2.48/lb. My local HBS can't/won't do bulk and charge over $4.00/lb.

I am completely satisfied with Midwest.

For online ordering I've used a few places, I like Homebrew Heaven the best so far.
There is also a local shop in Norfolk, called Homebrew USA. It might help your shipping problems, because you can get a ton of supplies there. He can make smaller kits for you, as he has grains, yeasts, and hops readily available, as well as equipment. Try this link for additional info.

HTH,
Brandon

I'm a Beer, Beer and More Beer guy for most of my equipment and my kits. I have had great response and delivery responses from them.

www.morebeer.com

They are UPS, I would prefer FedEx because of the Saturday deliveries, but generally if I order on Sunday I get the goods by the next Friday.

I'm a morebeer guy lately, too. They have all sorts of great stuff for setting up a tap system.

I use hoptech a lot for hops.

Thanks for the replies and info. It is strange about the FedEx being late when I order from Midwest. I have had pc parts delivered in a few days after the order was placed and FedEx worked great, so who knows why they seem to get the beer orders messed up....I live in Mathews Co. and we had a driver that everyone knew and he knew everyone, but now they have independant drivers and the personal touch is lost....or maybe the new drivers just checking out the brew order and gets overwhelmed from the Cascade.

The link to the brew shop in Norfolk looks might interesting. I didn't know about them. I
briefly scanned the catalog and the prices look mighty nice. I may even take a drive down there to purchase the goodies.

Take care and again, tnx
Neil

I checked MoreBeer. I saw that some of the prices are lower than Midwest, but their bulk wheat is over $30.00 more.

I would probably use them for yeast, but that'll be a long way off as I re-use mine for several batches and usually get 2 - 22oz bottles of yeast from each batch (from the primary only).

Thanks for the lead. :D

neil said:
Thanks for the replies and info. It is strange about the FedEx being late when I order from Midwest. I have had pc parts delivered in a few days after the order was placed and FedEx worked great, so who knows why they seem to get the beer orders messed up....I live in Mathews Co. and we had a driver that everyone knew and he knew everyone, but now they have independant drivers and the personal touch is lost....or maybe the new drivers just checking out the brew order and gets overwhelmed from the Cascade.

The link to the brew shop in Norfolk looks might interesting. I didn't know about them. I
briefly scanned the catalog and the prices look mighty nice. I may even take a drive down there to purchase the goodies.

Take care and again, tnx
Neil

Neil,
Try Austin Homebrew Supply (www.ahs.com). They do free shipping overt $60, and ythe last time I ordered from them it was UPS. Guess I'm lucky to have a hbs within driving distance to my pad!
DeRoux's Broux

Back