Super Sparge Braggot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So after making my Reindeer Fuel (Sweet Stout) this afternoon...I couldn't let all that extra grain and wort go to waste.
I decided to sparge an extra 3 gallons through the grain that was just flowing as nice and black as can be. This +1/4 Oz Cascade for 30 min, 1/2 Spalt for 30 minutes, 3 pepper corns for 30 minutes and 1/2 oz Spalt at Flame Out, + 6 # of Wild Flower Honey Leaves me with:
OG, 1.085
Color: 31.75 SRM
Bitterness: 9.6IBU

I will be pitching D-47 on this one, and Pictures to follow.

OK, Here they are....Reindeer Fuel Sweet Coffee Stout in the Ale Pail, and the Reindeer Pee (Thanks Nurmey!) Braggot in the Carboy. This is a fun little experiment, I hope it works well enough to do again next year.

I do expect the stout to be ready for Christmas Season 2008, but that Reindeer Pee...might take till next year.

rdf.jpg

Racked today with a Gravity of 1.000
The flavor is ok, but I'm a little let down. I will NEVER purchase another OZ of Wild Flower Honey again. This stuff could kill someone with allergies....It's got a very distinct flavor of Rag Weed.
It's going to be pretty good for me, but I am doubting this will be a big crowd pleaser.

Give it time - you might be surprised. If you have any of the wildflower honey left you might want to use it a pint at a time as an addition to other meads. It'll probably add a level of complexity that compliments a mead. I do the same with buckwheat honey. It smells like a barnyard and is as dark as blackstrap molasses. No way would I use more than a quart in a 5-gallon batch but a little really adds to the flavor several months down the road. I'd like to try your reindeer pee in about a year.

Kegged the Reindeer Pee TONIGHT! Will bottle later!

I've had it cold crashing for so long I'm going to have to call it lagering. The flavor has really mellowed to interesting, with a very warming effect at the top of the stomach. I don't suppose that is due to this being an 11.5% Beer? surprisingly, the pepper corns are actually noticeable through the very strong flavor of the honey. I can't call it off anymore, and I cant' describe it...but it's very strong. Fortunately, the base grains stand up to it and it holds it's own.

I'm thinking this may end up a connoisseurs drink with less than rave reviews from the masses...but really if I like it...and a few of you like it....I don't care what my BMC and CMD (Coke MountainDew Diet Cola) friends think.

__utf-8_b_su1hmdawodyuanbn__-feed.jpg

This sounds like it would be an excellent beer to do a vertical tasting with years down the road. It'll be complex enough that different things will come through as it ages, and it's big enough to last for years. I think I might mix up a little batch of this next time I do a stout!

Back