Super San Diego Yeast, in Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braukorps

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone use this yeast in their meads? How well does it perform, in your experience? I was suggested to use it, but for a total five gallon batch, I was only going to use one gallon/12 pounds of honey. I'm not sure if it would be too dry with that yeast.

I have never used it but based upon the specifications for the yeasti would agree it will likely drive your must dry. With that said most wine yeasts and many beer yeasts would as well.

"A low ester producing strain, it’s known for quick fermentations and producing a neutral flavor and aroma profile similar to WLP001 California Ale Yeast®. Due to high attenuation, this strain produces very dry beers with increased perceived bitterness. It also has a high alcohol tolerance which is suitable for a variety of styles and beverages from double IPAs to barleywines, ciders and mead. This is a great all around house strain and ideal for breweries who produce hop-forward beers."

Back