super quick carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa101

Reaction score
hey all! I bottled my second batch of Caramel cider yesterday......OG of 1.05, FG of 1.01, then 1.02 after adding the caramel syrup.
Last time I did this, it took about 5 days for the carbonation level to be right. Just out of pure curiosity I felt my plastic tester bottle to see if there were any changes after about 16 hours, and sure enough, it was near rock solid! Popped a couple of my bottles open and got the same results.

Any ideas why they carbed so quick???

Various things effect carbonation times, like how long it was in secondary(if at all) would effect the amount of live yeast cells, high temperature would cause the yeast to be more active, also as it is a rather sweet cider, they tend to carb up faster.

bottles were kept in a room at 74F overnight. And yes, only racked to secondary for the purpose of bottling, so maybe spent a total of 1 hour in the secondary bucket.

Back