Suggestions would be great

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawkstar

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew an American Wheat style beer. It will be extract, and full boil. I have 2oz of Cluster pellets (7.9AA) that I need to use. The other ingredients I will be picking up in the next few days. I was thinking of getting enough to make two 5 gallon batches. Making them the same but using different yeasts for each one to compare. Was thinking of using SAF WB-06 in one, and SAF Ale T-58 in the other. Any thoughts, suggestions and such would be great! My birthday is on Tuesday, and I hope to brew something on that day! Thanks!

LOL. I just made an american wheat and added a little corriander and orange peel to give it a bel wit vibe. Also, the point of an american wheat is to use a clean fermenting yeast as to avoid the hefe/wit yeast byproducts like clove/spice and bannana. I dont know if you get that with the S-06. I used the S-05 and it came out neutral. Nice wheat flavor with a hint of spice/citrus.

Good point! I've used S-05 in a couple of pale ales. Turned out good. Maybe I should try one of the earlier listed, and S-05 for the other. Anyone have input on type of hops, addition times. what type of grains to steep...etc.

I agree with Pharmguy, for American wheat, I'd go with a neutral yeast. With Sierra Nevada Crystal Wheat as the prototype, I'd pick US-05 or Notty. A less flocculent yeast like K-97 might get you closer to a Widmer or Pyramid hef.

Going with the Belg wit vibe I was aiming for, I used 1 oz of Tettnanger at start of boil. Any of the noble hops would do. That was it, hops play such a minor role in wheat beers there is really no need for another addition. There are a few recipes for american wheats in the recipe section to give you more ideas.

Back