Suggestion for competition styles needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltymike

Reaction score
So I am planning on entering my first homebrew competition and since I, obviously, have never done this before I need a little help on which category to enter my beers in.

My first beer was supposed to be a Russian Imperial Stout, but because of poor crush (couldn't have been my fault), it only had a OG of around 1.075 and it has about 7% ABV.

I'm torn on if I should still enter it as an imperial stout, because that is what I was trying to brew..or enter it as what it most resembles to me.. a Foreign Extra Stout.

My main purpose is to get feedback on my beers, I'm not planning on winning anything.

My second beer is a Cherry Bourbon Irish Red, which snuggled up with some oak chips in the secondary.. Would this be under Irish Red, Wood Aged, or Fruit Beer.. or does it just constitute as a Specialty Beer..

Any help would be appreciated..

Malty Mike

I don't know all that much about competitions, but I would go with American Stout, it's at the upper end, but within style guidelines. Unless it has the esters of Foreign Stout, then go with that. At 7% ABV, I wouldn't put it in as an RIS.

As for the second one, I think it depends a lot on how strong the different elements are in the beer. What stands out? I'm almost certain it should not go in Irish Red.

You are going to be the person to ask. Each category has guidelines, if you dont think your beer tastes like a RIS then dont enter it into that catergory.

With your red, which do you think it tastes best in? Its going to be impossible for us to tell without tasting the beer. Most comps have you send in the recipe so your going to lose points if your beer doesnt fall within the BJCP guidelines, but if it does then enter it!

As far as the Stout goes, enter it into what you think it most closely resembles, not what you originally intended. If you really can't decide then enter it into both (or more) categories. In fact it might be instructive to hear the judges comments on the same beer in different categories.

The Cherry Bourbon Irish Red? No clue.

Latest posts

Back