Sugar amounts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeP

Reaction score
So I'm going to starting a 3 gallon batch from apple juice tomorrow, I'm going to use 3 bottles @ 1.75 each bottle the juice each contains 25grams of sugar per serving, which should put it around 1.25 pounds of sugar already in the mixture with out the raw sugar added. I'm shooting for somewhere between 16 and 18% for the batch, so I'm thinking I should add another 7.50 pounds of raw sugar along with filling it the rest of the way with water, if I'm correct will this put me where I'm wanting to be? Or is this just to much sugar for only three gallons of must?:drunk:

While in theory you will get somewhere in that ABV range I would seriously discourage you from doing this. With that much sugar in so little juice, it's gonna be really boozy and generally lacking in the flavor department unless you backsweeten a lot to the point of being completely unbalanced and gross.

Here's a recent thread on adding sugar to cider and it's effects. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/not-happy-high-abv-cider-394885/

I wouldn't try and go that high either. Make it more around 8 - 10%. Then you can take 1/2 of it if you want and make Apple Jack with it, and get your 16 - 24%.

Remember when you were a kid and stumbled into a LOT of candy? (like halloween) and you just kept eating and eating and eating until you couldn't eat any more? Remember how you felt? Remember bouncing off the alls for hours on end and no one could talk you down?

Give that much sugar to your yeasties and they are going to revolt ;)

Well I have to say I forgot to check back with you guys before I made the wine today, I only put 5 pounds of raw sugar though instead of my original 7.5 pounds. It just looked like to much sugar for that amount of liquids, I may even dilute it with a little bit of water depending on how the yeast react. My whole idea behind this batch wasn't to make a great tasting drink anyways, just something with a whole lot of kick since I'm using pretty cheap apple juice and I've never tried anything with more than around 12%abv. But I think I'll just go with the idea of apple jacking half and mixing it back in with the other!

Thanks for the replies you guys sorry I forgot about asking the question though. I'm going to take this one as a learning experience it may come out good still yet!

BlakeP said:
. I'm going to take this one as a learning experience it may come out good still yet!

Hi Blake, LeBreton gave you a great link to a thread about high ABV cider, I was the guy who originally posted that thread.... Lots of good knowledge there!
When I was done with my cider it was 9.9% alcohol until I back sweetened... Got it down to about 8.6% to 8.8%ABV.... Dude, it's so young and hot! I think it's going to take this stuff a year in the bottle to calm down.
I wanted to make something high alcohol but I didn't realize how much flavor and character I would be trading to do that (Not to mention the amount of aging time I have to wait)...

I think I'm to be much happier making something around 6% from now on...
Try a batch or two without adding sugar, You might really like it and then like jflongo said you can add a little applejack to bring the alcohol level up and it would probably be a much better flavor

Back