Substitute brewers gold with chinook?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumanchu

Reaction score
I'm going to make something of a light Belgian ale tomorrow. The recipe calls for brewers gold as the main bitter, followed by tettnang a little further along the boil.

I have no brewers gold or anything near that kind of alpha % besides the bold chinook, which I've never used before. I've been reading chinook could replace it. But at a whopping 15% alpha as well as the fact that it's suppose to be kind of citrous and better suited for an IPA, I'm not sure it would be a good fit. Especially for a belgian, even if it is a light one.

Most of what I have lying around right now are nobles so I'm also thinking I could hop it like a pilsner and it would turn out fine. Most of my grain bill after all is pilsner malt. Only it's followed by crystal, chocolate, 2 lbs of pale ale malt.

So what do you guys think? Would adding only 1/2oz of chinook do it for bittering without bringing too much citrous flavour or unwanted tones in my beer?

If you're only using it for bittering and not using much of it (low IBU Belgian) that might be OK. Also, some newer Belgian ales do use citrusy hops, so a little of that won't necessarily be wrong.

I think you could use Chinook, but check a calculator to see how many IBUs it is. Off the top of my head, .5 oz = ~30 (?).

Chinook is kinda a rough bittering. As a 60 minute addition, you really won't get much in the way of citrus flavor.

You don't need a hop that has a comparable AA. Just scale up. eg 2 oz of a 5aa hop will provide as much bittering as 1 oz of 10 aa.

I'd be interested in the recipe, as I have a lot of leftover Chinook and some unused Tettnang. (if you're a sharing sort)

Oh sure man. Will post later, cooking food and getting ready to make my beer right now.

Fair warning: This is not really a lighter version of a gulden draak clone anymore, due to the vast differences, my not following the exact recipe.

There are a few different recipes out there. I chose the one with the less specialty malts due to unavailability. I also cut the grain bill in half since I'm only working with a 5 gallon cooler. I'm very much of a beginner as well.

7lbs of pilsner
2lbs of 2-row pale
1lb wheat
1/2lb 60L crystal
1/2lb carapils
2oz chocolate malt

I believe I mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
batch sparge 170 10 minutes
2nd sparge 160 10 minutes

1/2oz chinook 60 minutes
1oz tettnanger 30 minutes

Pitched T-58. Known as a not so great belgian yeast, but not bad. Apparently, belgians call for a higher quality liquid yeast. It defines the beer.

I've never used chinook before, I can tell I'll like it though I can't imagine using a whole oz for anything other than an IPA.

It is smelling pretty damn good right now in the fermenter.

You said you have chinook and tettnanger left? I primarily used this combo because they go really well together. There is a harpoon leviathan IPA that uses the combo and has a pretty high score with drinkers.

Back