stupid boil over question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsratso

Reaction score
so I would like to use my smaller kettle for a batch of beer, but looking at the preboil vol. on beersmith I can see I will be pretty close to having the kettle topped off. can you remove some of the volume to prevent boil overs and add it back in as the boil progresses and volume shrinks, or would this really screw up your efficiency, hop utilization, etc.

There are some variables to consider, but in general, yes you can boil a concentrated wort and then dilute with water. There are some considerations as far as hop utilizations, etc., but they are (IMO) mild and not much of a concern.

It might be handy for us to know what method you plan to use to brew, so we can advise on the most proper method of working around the kettle size.

Yes, you can top the kettle with additional runnings as the boil progresses. All wort should be boiled for at least 10 - 20 minutes.

This works fine, and it makes it much easier to boil near the top of the pot.

Latest posts

Back