Stunted hops growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miriam_rose

Reaction score
We planted four hops plants this spring and planted them in a row about two feet apart from each other. One of the plants is growing very quickly, the bine pictured below is ~8 feet. We have another that's growing OK, although more slowly. Two of the four are pretty short, however, and are growing very slowly if at all. I've noticed that our slower growers have multiple bines (although only one per bine is currently trained on the twine), whereas our tallest plant only has one. Could the multiple bines be slowings things down? I'm also wondering whether we have a nitrogen or other nutrient deficiency issue --- Could that lead to one of four plants doing well while others seem stunted?

Appreciate any insights. We are growing for decoration more than harvesting - we do not brew ourselves, although my Dad does. so any cones we do get will be given to him.

IMG_20200613_101049.jpg
IMG_20200613_101055.jpg

Looks about right for first year. Some varieties are slower than others, and hops should be fertilized in the spring. Do you know what varieties you’ve planted? Are all 3 the same?

Also, welcome to the forum @miriam_rose.

Young hop plant growth can vary based on variety, soil conditions, how well the rhizomes/plants were collected and shipped, etc.

If they're still green and photosynthesizing then they should be fine.

I also think they look totally fine. Some varieties are more robust than others.

I bought an Alpharoma plant last year. Two bines grew slow and steady until they hit about 6 feet. Then they just stopped. The leaves were all healthy looking, like yours. I'm 90% sure that the plant was just busy growing roots and adapting to it's new home. 10% chance I'm just a horrible hop grower! ;-) Anyway, this year it started off very slowly compared to my other varieties, but now it's up over 10 feet and looking great.

I think it really just depends on how much the plant likes it's location initially. And (speculation) it seems like once those roots get deep enough, they reach some sort of critical mass and start growing like kudzu. Once a plant is fully established in the earth, hop plants become absolute MONSTERS. :)

Back