Stumbled upon 40+lbs of Special B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackwood

Reaction score
Unmilled. Great deal(with 50lbs of some other grain). How long am I going to have this Special B around. I figure 2 years.. Is there some "Special Brew" that calls for a LOT of Special B?

Yes of course! You can use it in lots of different styles. I actually brewed an Imperial IPA today that contained probably 1% of it compared to the total grist. Albeit that's not a lot, but the point is it's usable for sure!

Definitely good in some Belgians. Shines in the doppelbocks, porters, and some brown ales.

Fore reference:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

Google: Rocket Rod's Positively Porter. He won home brewer of the year in 2004 and it calls for 1.4 pounds of special B in the batch. It is a pretty tasty porter!

Well, that's what I'm getting at by saying it could last me 2 years. haha I was really seeing if someone had a good beer that used like 5-10 lbs in a 10 gallon batch or something.

Love, Love Love Special B! Great rasiney carmely taste!
Try it in place of Chocolate malt, it's much less astringent.
Great in almost anything dark. Don't be afraid to experiment!

Back