Stuck Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbcbrews

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for almost 30 years and had a first at my last brew day- a stuck Sparge in a 10 gallon round cooler. Tried stirring, no luck. Tried blowing in the drain tube and could get a little air in, but not much. The grain crush was same as always and it is a recipe I have made before. Same tub that I have probably use on 20 prior batches. No pump used to compact the grain bed. Long story short, I emptied the tub into my brew kettle and found that the tube between the domed false bottom and the outlet valve was filled with grain. Emptied it out, refilled the tub from my kettle and instantly had the same problem, a stuck Sparge that was because the tubing filled with grain. Looked at the bottom of they plastic tun and don’t see obvious warping and the false bottom sits almost perfectly flat.

Any ideas about what to look at next? Or just say skip it and replace the tun?

I use a BIAB bag on top of a domed false bottom, and just mash normally. Never a stuck sparge, and makes cleaning a breeze! Just a suggestion...

I use a BIAB bag on top of a domed false bottom, and just mash normally. Never a stuck sparge, and makes cleaning a breeze! Just a suggestion...

Good idea if I hadn’t already had the investment in equipment...and neither had I until this time.

Good idea if I hadn’t already had the investment in equipment...and neither had I until this time.

I don't BIAB, I just use one of the bags on top of my false bottom as an extra screen and nothing gets through. So the only extra equipment is a bag big enough for your MLT. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post...

Cheers!

I don't BIAB, I just use one of the bags on top of my false bottom as an extra screen and nothing gets through. So the only extra equipment is a bag big enough for your MLT. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post...

Cheers!

That, sir, is a brilliant idea. Way cheaper than replacing the tun.

I wonder if your mash tun is warping as it gets heated up. I've heard some tuns can do that after they start getting old.

I like GoeHaarden's idea though. I'll have to remember that.

Try cutting a slit along a length of tubing a couple of inches longer that the circumference of the false bottom and insert the edge of the false bottom into it for a better seal...then trim it down to actual length for a better fit.
Thanks, that is a good idea too. I will try it.

I wonder if your mash tun is warping as it gets heated up. I've heard some tuns can do that after they start getting old.

I like GoeHaarden's idea though. I'll have to remember that.

I wondered about that too. The tun does have some warping in the walls, presumably from the heat, so I guess no reason the bottom couldn’t warp some too.

Latest posts

Back