Stronger ALC%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki

Reaction score
How can I make the ALC% stronger without dueing too much damage to the taste, I'm thinking about buying a "Bell's Two Hearted Ale" copy kit of E-Bay...

Add another pound of malt that matches what comes in the kit and ferment it for longer. I have done this several times and it has worked nicely......... :cool:

Looked at that kit. That is actually a decent price, considering all the ingredients that are included. I would also ask the seller for an additional pound of malt extract for $2 more. That way you'll find out also if it's really packaged fresh, as he says it is. Prepackaged extract typically comes in 3.3 lb. containers, so the fact that he's including 6.6 lb. is a tad suspicious. Recipes used to all call for amounts of extract divisible by 3.3, but not anymore.

Thanks for the replies, Where can I find a good supplier of ingredents?

richanne said:
Prepackaged extract typically comes in 3.3 lb. containers, so the fact that he's including 6.6 lb. is a tad suspicious. Recipes used to all call for amounts of extract divisible by 3.3, but not anymore.
A few years back quite a few of the local brew shops had 55? gallon barrels of muntons extract in their shops. They would rig them up so they would back fill with co2 as the syrup was drawn. Maybe their suppliers setup is something similar.

Loki said:
How can I make the ALC% stronger without dueing too much damage to the taste, I'm thinking about buying a "Bell's Two Hearted Ale" copy kit of E-Bay...
What kind of strong beer do you like? I may have a couple of recipes tucked back, thats all I make really is strong beer.

Dark_Ale said:
What kind of strong beer do you like? I may have a couple of recipes tucked back, thats all I make really is strong beer.

I enjoy all types, Ales, stouts, lagers, ect. Chimay is a favorite.

I'm concocting a strong beer at moment, it goes like htis:

Coopers Dark Ale Kit (or something like that -I threw awaya the can)
500g Extra dark spray malt
1Kd brewing sugar
priming sugar.

i barreled it a few days ago.

I't not nearly as dark as I would have thought, actually a nice golden colour.

Tastes pretty god too, with a couple of caveats.

You can smell the booze off it. I don't know the percentage but I'm guesing 7 or 8

I swilled some around in mouth for a bit to see what it tasted like, I eneded up producing so much saliva that when I spat the ber out my mouth felt like it had been dessicated!

Having said that it was pretty damn good tasting!

I'm going to age it a god month or so and then i think it will be pretty good, as long as the drieness settles down, anyone got any ideas for that?

What is this crystal malt stuff?
Is it like malt extract?

BTW I tasted it yesterday and the flavour is starting to mellow out a bit.

Thanks

Crystal malt is malt which has been "mashed in the husk" by being heated to saccharification temperatures while it is still wet. The process is carried out in such a way that saccharification is complete, converting all of the starches into sugars. The malt is then kilned (dried), causing the sugar to set into a hard, glassy lump inside the barley husk.

It does not have to be mashed to used, and can be crushed by something as simple as a rolling pin or mortar and pestle. It provides color, mouthfeel and additional fermentable sugars for your beer.

So should I steep it or boil it or something? or can I just smash it up and throw it in the barrel and shake?! : )

Also, can you make a beer using only that? Or is it better to use a kit and add some Crystl malt as an addition?

What Im wondering is can I buy this stuff which sounds pretty simple to use, mabe add some spray malt, yeast and hopes and make myself some beer somewhere between homemashed and supplied in the can?

:p

Where is the seller from?? I didnt know Bells made copy cat kits?? Bells brewery is right in my town and thats where I buy my supplies from and they don't sell kits there.....at least not that i know of.

Mark said:
So should I steep it or boil it or something? or can I just smash it up and throw it in the barrel and shake?! : )

Also, can you make a beer using only that? Or is it better to use a kit and add some Crystl malt as an addition?

You'll want to buy some from a brew supply shop, mill it there, then steep in your brew kettle for ~ 30-45 minutes at 150F before bringing the water to boil. this will give the beer some color (depending on the type of crystal malt), and give it a nice body.

Crystal malt comes in very different colors depending upon the time it was roasted. It varies from light (Crystal 10L) to dark (Crystal 100+L). The flavors that come from crystal range from candy sweet at the low end to caramel in the middle to toffeet at the high end.

Just make sure you don't grind it up and put it into the fermenter. Its got to steep to extract the sugars.

Tophe96 said:
Where is the seller from?? I didnt know Bells made copy cat kits?? Bells brewery is right in my town and thats where I buy my supplies from and they don't sell kits there.....at least not that i know of.

You can get a Two-Hearted clone from here: HomeBrewerSupply.com

CRYSTAL MALT
The classic British body builder and a British invention. Unsurpassed in Bitter beers for adding subtle sweetness to balance the customary high hop rate. It is produced in the same way as Caramalt except that kilning is prolonged until the desired colour is reached. Crystal malts cover a wide range of colours but the usual level is around 120 EBC.

Colour80- 140EBC

Maximum percentage 20% <-- Don't use more than this amount in your beer..

Back