Strong After Taste of Apple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sreichenberger

Reaction score
Hello everyone, granted this may sound quite stupid, but I am looking into ways to decrease the apple after taste in my Cider. I have my first batch which I prepared by adding strawberries (fruit) and red berries (jam) during my secondary. The fruits were in the secondary for a week. I hardly had any of the fruit taste, but just a strong apple after taste.

Any advice on how I can reduce the apple taste? Should I leave the fruits in the secondary for longer or change my yeast? (Currently using Côte des Blancs)

The "apple taste" might be from all the pectin added from the jam? You could consider using an extract to add other stronger flavors.

The "apple taste" might be from all the pectin added from the jam? You could consider using an extract to add other stronger flavors.

That's what I thought too. Have a second batch with only strawberries (fruit) which I froze then thawed. Will see how that goes. Any tips regarding extracts? Would dry hopping in secondary also help? Thanks in advance!

I've only ever used extracts after the fact; once fermentation was all done. With extracts, the only advice I have is that "a little goes a long way." o_O

In the past, I used the "Brewer's Best" extracts, as they're designed for flavoring beer, wine, ciders, and sodas. It was also the brand that the online store I order supplies from had in stock. The wines I gave a little "boost" to turned out nicely. I added a little bit at a time, kept tasting, and stopped before it was too overpowered.

Back