Strawberry Milkshake IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty4263

Reaction score
I am going to be brew this within the next week or two. I wanted to post the recipe I plan on using to get some feedback and hope you can answer a few things I am iffy about. I put this recipe together loosely based on a West Coast Imperial I brewed a few months back that turned out great. Antietam Brewing makes a great strawberry milkshake IPA called Lactosimplicity that really made me want to try this.

Does the corn sugar clash with lactose? Is it cool to use both?

Is 2 lbs of flaked oats a fair amount? I bough 3 lbs but backed down the recipe when I saw the quantity in person.

I like big flavors from the adjunct additions. I have used 2 oz of vanilla extract in a coffee stout before and didn't quite get enough of that flavor. Should I keep 3 oz in, add more, subtract?

I am going with 5 oz of strawberry extract but am open to suggestions on amount. I like a big strawberry flavor.

Grains (steep for 20 mins at 160)

Caramel 40L 1 lb

Flaked Oats 2lb

Malt

3.15 lbs Gold LME (60 mins)

6 lbs Gold LME (15 mins)

2 lbs corn sugar (5 mins)

Hops

1 oz Amarillo (with steeping grains)

1 oz Amarillo (30 mins)

2 oz Hull Melon (20 mins)

1 oz Idaho 7 (whirlpool)

1 oz Hull Melon (whirlpool)

4 oz Hull Melon (dry hop)

Other

1 lb lactose (10 mins)

Yeast

Liquid Wyeast #1318 Londan Ale III

Post Fermentation at Kegging

5 oz Strawberry extract

3 oz Vanilla extract

Never done one so can't comment on the recipe per se, but you might want to add some base malt, like 1/2-3/4 pound, to provide some diastatic power, because there's zero Lintner there right now, and you want that to be around 40 or higher...

Cheers!

The corn sugar is fermetable and isn’t going to provide flavor, just alcohol, the lactose is your non-fermentable sugar that will provide some sweetness and body.

Back